Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I open Google Sheets in the web from my desktop app? Can it open from the sheet I left off?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm a relatively new user of Google Sheets, so I'm trying to navigate my way. I know that I can go to dropbox.com in the browser, click on a file, and open it in Google Sheets. If I go to the dropbox app, it defaults to opening the file in excel. Can it be opened from the app and directed to Sheets?

Second question: when a spreadsheet opens, it defaults to the leftmost sheet and cell A1. is there a way to peg the file to open at the spot at which I left off?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Can I open Google Sheets in the web from my desktop app? Can it open from the sheet I left off?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Traub, thanks for joining the Community!

In order to understand this in more detail, could you clarify if you’re referring to the Dropbox desktop application or the mobile app? What OS and Dropbox version are you running on the device?

Regarding your second query, it wouldn’t be possible to retain the previous location of where you left off on the spreadsheet.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Can I open Google Sheets in the web from my desktop app? Can it open from the sheet I left off?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
My response to Jay's questions keeps bombing out, so I'll put it here and hopefully he'll get it.
Thanks, Jay. I'm looking at the desktop application.

Dropbox app is 92.4.382

Os is windows 10 home
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hey @Traub, sounds like you using .xls/.xlsx format instead of the native Google sheets (.gsheet) file format. If you use .gsheet format, double clicking the file in your desktop should open a browser and redirect you to the Google sheet. Unfortunately, it does not remember the cursor location, it opens at A1. 

If you must use the Excel format, go to Dropbox settings https://www.dropbox.com/account/default_apps In the Default apps, in case of Exel files choose Google sheets. Now you may right click the file in your computer and choose View on Dropbox.com. It should prompt to open in Google sheets. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?