Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I protect the content of my Dropbox folder?

javimidnight
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I'm working with a laptop which it is connected to a domain where there are administrators who could access to my laptop (and they could access to my folders).

I have installed the desktop client in my Laptop and I have some private info.

Which solution (protect, encrypt,...) will be the best in order to protect this info, taking in account that I am accessing this info by mobile (Iphone).

Also, I have some shared folders.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Protect dropbox content

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @javimidnight - how are you today?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you'd like to accomplish but as it's not possible to password protect Dropbox (Folder), or any of the folders inside I'd advise that you followed good security practices to protect your entire computer while it's always a good idea to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens.

This is because Dropbox is not a network drive and the Dropbox software has no control over access to the folder. The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer.

Last but not least, you could enable our 2 step authentication feature which adds an extra layer of security to your account as we will require a six-digit code in addition to your email address and password when you sign in to Dropbox or link a new computer, phone, or tablet. To get started, go to the Security tab and click "Enable" under Two-step verification.

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress. Oh and happy Monday too!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @javimidnight - how are you today?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you'd like to accomplish but as it's not possible to password protect Dropbox (Folder), or any of the folders inside I'd advise that you followed good security practices to protect your entire computer while it's always a good idea to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens.

This is because Dropbox is not a network drive and the Dropbox software has no control over access to the folder. The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer.

Last but not least, you could enable our 2 step authentication feature which adds an extra layer of security to your account as we will require a six-digit code in addition to your email address and password when you sign in to Dropbox or link a new computer, phone, or tablet. To get started, go to the Security tab and click "Enable" under Two-step verification.

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress. Oh and happy Monday too!

Walter

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

javimidnight
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Walter for your answer.

This is a good idea.

Also I would like to know if someone know any solution like Boxcryptor or another one.

Regards

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

While I won't be able to comment on 3rd party apps or services, I'm leaving this thread open in case other users want to pitch in!

Should you need anything else from my end, do let me know though and I'll be happy to help in any way I can @javimidnight.

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?