cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reorganize folders?

Can I reorganize folders?

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

I’m interested in putting all my data from my computer onto Dropbox. This is a large folder hierarchy. I’d then like to be able to work with that—like for example, move a sub-folder from its parent folder to another folder. I tried a little experiment doing this by cutting and pasting (Presently I have Dropbox Basic), but nothing seemed to happen. If this works, I’ll sign up for Dropbox Pro. Will this work? Thanks…

6 Replies 6

Re: Can I reorganize folders?

Mark
Super User II

Yes.

Dropbox is just a folder on your machine like any other. The only real limits are your hard disk/Dropbox quota and noting that it sometimes doesn't play well when you've over 300k files. 

Just for future ref. once inside Dropbox I find it easier to pause/close Dropbox when doing any big changes and then restarting it after I'm done. It seems to be quicker that way. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks Mark.

When you say, "once inside Dropbox ", I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I usually access my Dropbox folders simply through regular Windows File Explorer. Is that a good way?

Mark
Super User II

By 'Once in Dropbox' I'm simply referring to the Dropbox folder. Dropbox doesn't sync files anywhere else so its simply the name of the 'magic' folder as it were. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

One of the most impressive feature of dropbox is that if you move a file or change a piece of a file dropbox will not resend the files or file 'chunks' it already has, just move 'em!

But the Log/Record of a simple move looks like "Delete" and "Add" and that can give you a scare if you catch it in the middle of a move. This is great for x GB sized files!

Niels B. T.
New member | Level 1

Hi

I need some help with this problem:

How can I rename a folder?

Regards

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

there are 2 ways to rename a folder: on you computer let the OS do it... rename, etc.

on the website click on the SPACE BESIDE the file name and a rename option appears at the top.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Niels B. T. New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Tom V Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?