cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I right click to disconnect Dropbox folder?

Can I right click to disconnect Dropbox folder?

Hyper3232
New member | Level 2

I want to use Dropbox, as an external drive to drop off my backed up data. 

I am worried about viruses, so I wanted to 'disconnect' my dropbox, when not it use.

I wanted to 'reconnect' (with password) when I wanted to back more data or recover files.

Is there an option?.

I uninstalled Desktop Dropbox, but that seems extreme.

1 Reply 1

Re: Can I right click to disconnect Dropbox folder?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @Hyper3232, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community!

In general, if you don't want:

• Your desktop app to sync temporarily, you can quit/exit Dropbox. In this case though, you won't need to sign back in using your credentials. 
  • Your computer to be linked to your account and use your credentials to sign back in, you can unlink it. However, please keep in mind that if you're on a Basic account, you have a three device limit. You can read this article for more info.

However, please bear in mind that when you install the desktop app, a Dropbox folder gets created on your computer.

Even if you temporarily stop the desktop app from running, unlink your device, or completely uninstall, that Dropbox folder stays on your computer, doesn't sync online, and becomes a regular folder just like any other.

I hope this information helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?