cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can another user sign into Dropbox on my computer where I'm also signed in?

Can another user sign into Dropbox on my computer where I'm also signed in?

EAT
New member | Level 2

Hi - I recently installed Dropbox on my new Windows 10 laptop and am a new user. Previously a family member would logon to my old Windows 7 laptop when visiting but at that time I did not have my own Dropbox account.  Recently,  they have tried to logon to this new laptop (with my own Dropbox account now installed) using their username and password but it doesn't recognise their logon.  I am wondering whether you can't access 2 accounts on the same computer? I tried logging out of my account before they tried to log on but that didn't work either.  They have assured me they are using their correct user name and password.  Thinking out loud here - they would not log out of dropbox on their home computer at any stage so wonder if you would need to log out of the original computer to be able to log in on another computer?  I wouldn't think so given people use multiple devices these days. This is a free account only and not business. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

3 Replies 3

Re: Can 2 people be logged onto dropbox on the same laptop at the same time?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @EAT, I hope you're having a good day so far!

From what I understand here, you're referring to signing into the desktop app installed on your computer. Is that right?

Could you let me know exactly what error they're getting when trying to sign into their account on your computer? If possible, please send me a screenshot excluding any personal info (eg. email address).

Also, since you mentioned that you're using Basic accounts, do they have 3 or more devices currently connected to their account? You can check this via the security page online here.

If so, then the issue is probably caused due to the number of connected devices. You can check out more info on this here.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EAT
New member | Level 2

Thanks Daphne - we will follow this up but I may need to wait till I see my aunty.  This may be related to the 3 user limit thinking she may have even linked my old laptop before the date change you mentioned.

Kind regards

Libby

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @EAT!

Of course, whenever you have the chance I'll be ready to continue with you when is convenient. Please just feel free to drop me a nudge here when you've had a look into this.

In the meantime, please feel free to get back to me with any other questions you have as I'd be happy to help out. :grin:

Hope you have a great week ahead Libby!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?