cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can file comments be edited or deleted?

Can file comments be edited or deleted?

milehiguy
Explorer | Level 4

I've just added a comment to a shared picture but now wish to edit it.  I'd also like to delete comments that I've added in the past to a few other pictures.  How do I edit/delete an existing comment?

11 Replies 11

Re: Can file comments be edited or deleted?

Rich
Super User II

Comments cannot be edited, but they can be deleted. You should see a Delete link just below your comment.

eb2654f1b10f8bdd8f104eba0290edfb.png

milehiguy
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply Rich, but ... either we're talking about a different type of comment or I've phrased the subject of my OP inaccurately.  I'm referring to comments I've made to a picture while viewing it.  As you can see in the attached screenshot, I've made 2 comments (on a picture of my grandson at the zoo).  I'd like to delete the first one and edit the second one.  The only option is to Reply to either comment or to add a new comment.

CE04FD5C-9886-41E0-95F1-5F4764F062FC.jpeg

Rich
Super User II
Ah, you're doing this within the Dropbox app on a mobile device. Sorry for the confusion. The option to delete is only available on the Dropbox website.

milehiguy
Explorer | Level 4

Very good, yes, I was working on my iPad from within the app.  I'll visit the website now and look for the Delete option.  Hmm, I wonder why no option to Edit?  As long as I have your attention, from the website is there a way to search a folder for files/pictures that have comments, or ... search for comment(s) that include a certain string?  Thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Unfortunately, no. You can only search for text within the file's name. There's also no way to see which files have comments, other than opening each one.

milehiguy
Explorer | Level 4

Ok, I've located the option to Delete a comment via the web interface, but ... only from my PC!  In other words ... while viewing a picture, comments are NOT displayed via the web interface (Safari) on my iPad.  There's simply no indication that a comment has ever been made.  Once I view the same picture via the web interface (Chrome) on my PC, I see the information on the right that displays comment history.  Ref. the two screenshots below.  Perhaps someone else with an iPad can verify this.  I feel strongly that this information should always be present!  Also, via the web interface when the list of files within a folder is displayed ... shouldn't there be some visual indication (like a  "c" or something) adjacent to any file that has a comment?  Perhaps it's time for me to add a new post re: feature requests. :slight_smile:

A998D824-E8C8-40F2-8617-C26ADF04D9BC.jpeg7D45BA2A-CFA0-4785-B3F4-F8CC5404F4FA.jpeg

Buggyascanbe
New member | Level 2

Unbelievable that this has not gotten a response from Dropbox. This renders Dropbox useless for me for the purpose of collaboration. 

We’re talking about very basic features here. The ability to edit comments is standard on just about every other platform and it’s disappointing that I can’t do that. But the fact that there’s literally no way for me to know whether comments exist when viewing in a browser from an iPad is totally unacceptable. 

Anyone aware of any workarounds, or is Dropbox basically bricked for collaboration if you use an IPad?

milehiguy
Explorer | Level 4

@Buggyascanbe wrote:

Unbelievable that this has not gotten a response from Dropbox. This renders Dropbox useless for me for the purpose of collaboration. 

We’re talking about very basic features here. The ability to edit comments is standard on just about every other platform and it’s disappointing that I can’t do that. But the fact that there’s literally no way for me to know whether comments exist when viewing in a browser from an iPad is totally unacceptable. 

Anyone aware of any workarounds, or is Dropbox basically bricked for collaboration if you use an IPad?

Yeah, was hoping after I illustrated the difference in behavior between Dropbox on my PC (Chrome) versus Dropbox on my iPad (Safari) that we might see some action to correct this.  Thanks for input.

Re: why my recived comments have been cleared?

naninona
Explorer | Level 3

@milehiguy wrote:

Ok, I've located the option to Delete a comment via the web interface, but ... only from my PC!  In other words ... while viewing a picture, comments are NOT displayed via the web interface (Safari) on my iPad.  There's simply no indication that a comment has ever been made.  Once I view the same picture via the web interface (Chrome) on my PC, I see the information on the right that displays comment history.  Ref. the two screenshots below.  Perhaps someone else with an iPad can verify this.  I feel strongly that this information should always be present!  Also, via the web interface when the list of files within a folder is displayed ... shouldn't there be some visual indication (like a  "c" or something) adjacent to any file that has a comment?  Perhaps it's time for me to add a new post re: feature requests. :slight_smile:

A998D824-E8C8-40F2-8617-C26ADF04D9BC.jpeg7D45BA2A-CFA0-4785-B3F4-F8CC5404F4FA.jpeg

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?