cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer connect to Dropbox

Can no longer connect to Dropbox

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

I've been using Dropbox free for several years to sync files between my two laptops. Since yesterday, I kept getting a message on one laptop 'connecting' and it wouldn't sync. I uninstalled it and installed the latest version 105.4.649 and now I keep getting a message 'starting.' I logged out and logged back in, still got 'starting,' and then a popup message 'No Internet connection. You computer is currently offline...' yet I had an Internet connection. I've only used about half of the available space in my account.  (Windows 10)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can no longer connect to Dropbox

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

I discovered the solution, which is simple.  I went to preferences-->proxy and changed 'detect proxy' to 'manual' and viola the problem was solved.

Meanwhile, Dropbox support recommended clean install, registry changes, firewall unblocking (already was), etc., etc.  - no clue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

scarsong
New member | Level 2

I suggest you reinstall the WIN10 system. Before that, you can try to log in to your dropbox account on the computer of your friend or relative to see if the problem is resolved.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @mortstiff, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. There is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains, which is why you're getting this issue.

Could you try checking out these aspects to see if they could be causing this..

Let me know what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for answering.  No I have the problem whether my proxy is on or off.  I tried a clean resintall and still get the problem, with the popup message that there is no Internet connection (when there actually is), so I'm thinking it has to be some sort of network connection issue.

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

Very funny - reinstall W10.

In fact, I can log into Dropbox on the laptop by going through the website.  It's just the installed program that doesn't work.  I can live with it this way, but it's much more of a hassle to move files around whenever the need arises.

Jay
Dropboxer

It does sound like the Dropbox desktop application is having issues connecting.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

Someone from Dropbox support already sent me those clean reinstall steps and it did nothing.  Plus, it's time to update those steps for the latest W10 update.

mortstiff
Helpful | Level 6

I discovered the solution, which is simple.  I went to preferences-->proxy and changed 'detect proxy' to 'manual' and viola the problem was solved.

Meanwhile, Dropbox support recommended clean install, registry changes, firewall unblocking (already was), etc., etc.  - no clue.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?