cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer send direct links from Dropbox website

Can no longer send direct links from Dropbox website

CanGrad S.
New member | Level 1

Last week, the Share button on the right side of each file/folder was a dropdown menu, giving me the option to send a direct URL link to any email address instead of Sharing. Now there's no dropdown menu, and I can only Share things.

I can go into that menu, and then after much clicking around manage to get a direct URL, but that greatly multiplies the amount of time it takes to do a simple thing. Additionally, instead of a nice automatically formatted message, it's just a bare URL.

When will this be fixed?

6 Replies 6

Re: Can no longer send direct links from Dropbox website

Talley A.
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue, I don't want make so many clicks to get a link... What is happening with your developers, please give the option to get the links with one click like before or I will move to One Drive right away!!!

Thanks

Karl

David F.47
New member | Level 1

I depend on this as well, now the link is buried in the options, and the link generated only works on the root shared folder.

How do we generate links to specific folders not requiring logins?

Rich
Super User II

The process has indeed changed. See here:

CanGrad S.
New member | Level 1

Rich, that page has no information on how to create a link from the Dropbox website, which is what I asked about. It is not helpful and does nothing to address this problem.

Rich
Super User II

When will this be fixed? ... It is not helpful and does nothing to address this problem.

It's not a problem that needs to be fixed. It's a change in how share links are created and that page describes the new process.

tl;dr: You can create a link from the website but you can no longer send one from the website. You need to use your own email client to send it.

When you click Share on the website, you'll see the option to Create a Link.

Nicholas T.8
New member | Level 1

Why did this change?  I have all my emails in dropbox and now can't send links through it anymore?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nicholas T.8 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    CanGrad S. New member | Level 1
    David F.47 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?