cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can smartsync be toggled off on a 'per computer' basis?

Can smartsync be toggled off on a 'per computer' basis?

Stefan K.30
Explorer | Level 4

On some computers I use, I want smartsync to be off. I want to put files in there and have them stay there. I only want to spend money on bandwidth when the FILE CHANGES. I do not want dropbox checking some hidden date and then deciding to take the file off my pc and replace it with a file proxy of their own design.

I read this excellent post

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/How-can-I-completely-disable-Smart-Syn...

and Seager1's solution which works. Go to dropbox online and go into your settings and disable dropbox extension..

The warning I get says it will disable dropbox extension on ALL connected computers. Smartsync will be off for my whole account. Not what I want. Hey Dropbox, can you make this setting on a 'per pc' basis with a list of connected pcs below the little toggle?

3 Replies 3

Re: Can smartsync be toggled off on a 'per computer' basis?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Stefan K.30,

Smart Sync, Selective Sync, Ignore Feature, etc... all are per device preferences (even if you don't want). Of course, they have their defaults, but can be changed on every device independently. So, Yes, You can! Opposite question would have negative answer, i.e. it's impossible to change these settings centralized (entire account basis).

Hope this helps.

Stefan K.30
Explorer | Level 4

How is that your dropbox behaves abnormally? Do you have an old version?

in fact when you toggle off the smartsync extension, every pc signs out of dropbox and asks you to sign in again. This is obviously their 'fix' for the commonly reported problem of dropbox not syncing when you turn off smartsync until you log out of it and re-log in.

After turning off smartsync and re-logging in to dropbox on EVERY pc, the smartsync option is missing in the preferences (as it should be).  This proves that you CANNOT turn it back on from the control panel but have to go into the online dropbox account which makes the change GLOBAL for all pcs.

ssync.PNG

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Stefan K.30,

I should confess, haven't used recently Dropbox on Windows, but when I used it always was stable build, not beta. In this context check if you have joined Dropbox beta program and if so, try get out. Might helps. 🙁 Recently there are lots of bugs. 😯 Your observation might be one of them.

By the way, here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

This feature is only available to Dropbox customers on Plus, Family, Professional, or Business plans.

Note: The Smart Sync preferences you choose are unique to each computer and don’t affect other computers you use with Dropbox.

... seems nothing gets changed. 🤷

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Stefan K.30 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?