cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

KOA1
Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same problem cant drag Dropbox folders into Mac Catalina sidebar. Is there a fix , if not when?  this has been going on as per other's comments , a very long time. please help thx

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @KOA1, I’m here to help you on that as much as I can on my end! 

I’ve now located your open support ticket on our system & I’ve sent you a message back to help expedite matters on my side. Please have a look at the inbox connected to your Community profile & we’ll go from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue, unfortunately. I have to launch a new finder window, then drag files to that. This problem began with Catalina. I'm not tech-savvy enough to go through all of the fiery hoops to just drag a simple file over to the favorites sidebar. Please fix!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @ChiDeb20, thanks for highlighting here! 

I’ve created a support ticket on our system, as I’m submitting all relevant reports for further review when needed. Please check the inbox connected to your Community profile, if you’d like to continue working on that with me. 

Once you reply back to my email, I’ll try to touch-base with you soon!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

db163
New member | Level 2
I have also been having this issue in Catalina.

Rasa05
Explorer | Level 3

I am facing the same issue! I can't drag any files from my desktop into dropbox nor can I attach any files from my desktop into my Mac Mail?? But I can still attach files from dropbox into my emails. No idea what is going on but it's very frustrating. Please help! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for reporting that here @db163 & @Rasa05!

I’ve just sent you a brief message through our support system to continue this discussion. Can you both have a look at your inboxes when you have a spare moment? 

I’ll be awaiting your replies there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

BrantInPaloAlto
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jane. It looks like you are engaging with people posting here one on one. I think what everyone posting here is probably looking for though is for Dropbox to just fix the problem and announce that here. Or give us instructions on how to fix it if there's something we have to do on our end.  That's what I'm waiting for at least! However, if the instructions are to full reinstall as one person suggested, okay but for me that's not really a great answer. I'd just continue to use Google Drive instead of Dropbox if that's what it's going to take to get Dropbox drag and drop to the favorites list working.

Hedgefield
New member | Level 2

Agreed. I'm seeing nine pages of reports here after the Catalina upgrade, so I certainly hope at some point there will be a fix everyone here can apply.

To add to the pile, yes I have the same problem. Dropbox is pinned to my Finder sidebar. I used to be able to drag files onto it and they would move to my Dropbox folder. After the Catalina upgrade they just slide back to where I picked them up. I can however hold the files over the Dropbox sidebar item, wait for the folder to open, then drop them in there directly. Or if I open two Finder windows, I can drag between them. I can also pin and unpin the Dropbox folder to the sidebar, and it has full disk permissions in the MacOS settings. FileVault is enabled. I can use the drag-to-sidebar method for any other folder on my harddisk just fine. What is up?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Hedgefield, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line here! 

I’ve just sent you an email to look into that further. Feel free to ping me back on the email there if you find the time to work on that with me.

Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?