cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

mlawson1986
Explorer | Level 4

I'd also like to throw in that I'm facing this issue and have been since upgrading. I've had no issues with anything else, only this dropbox issue. It's not the end of the world, just somewhat of an inconvenience as it deviates from my previous workflow. It would be great to know if this was a Dropbox problem or a macOS problem. My permissions using the new system are set to allow Dropbox full access to what it needs.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @mlawson1986, thanks for getting in touch here on this! 

Would it be okay if I reached out to you on the email address connected to your Community profile to have a closer look? If you confirm, I’ll create a ticket on our system for you. Please let me know if you have some spare time to work on that with me in your next post.

Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mlawson1986
Explorer | Level 4

That would be just fine @Jane, thank you!

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Many thanks for the speedy confirmation @mlawson1986; please check your inbox when you have a spare minute! 😊

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

HarbourView
New member | Level 2

I am seeing the same inability to drop files on Dropbix folder in the Sidebar on Catalina. It is a new macbook pro with Catalina. My system meets the access requirements identified several posts ago. All other methods to move a file to DropBox folders work fine - seems to be isolated to only DropBox folder in sidebar.

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

I thought I would share this - I have been waiting for the permanent fix from Dropbox, which will BE this fix - it has not come out yet, so I thought I would share the fix that worked for me. I think this is all they are going to add into an update but I am not sure about that. Can you see if this works for you? You may have to restart your computer if it doesn't work, but I didn't have to.

Open Terminal, and enter this command (all one line):

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

Then try the drag and drop again!

RDFRush
Explorer | Level 4

Worked for me, thanks! I CANNOT believe how long they are taking to get this fixed to be honest. It's clear that a lot of people are having this problem but they act like it's some sort of ad hoc occurrence.

batsonjay
Explorer | Level 4

I'll add my voice to the chorus of people with issues.

I just got my laptop back from Apple after a failed logic board, and was forced to upgrade to Catalina. (I had been holding off because of all the various app issues across many apps.)

Post-upgrade, I can't drag to or from the Dropbox hierarchy.

Seems like Apple & Dropbox aren't playing well with others at the moment.

Jane, can I get on your radar, too? I've got LOTS of stuff to move around as I re-establish a rational environment on a virtually-new machine.

batsonjay
Explorer | Level 4

I like the idea of a command-line fix. However, I'm reluctant to be one of the first users :grin:

I've seen one person like this. Anybody else? And has anybody else (that knows what they're doing) parse this command line awesomeness out & consider its safety?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Thank you all for your paticipation and posting details of your user cases. 

We appreciate the solution posted @donawalt. Kudos for being helpful in our Community. I hope to see more users post that this worked for them. 

@batsonjay you are on my radar now. Check the email address associated with your Community profile.

We will take it from there. 

Thank you all for working on this with us!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Need more support?