cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

stationagent
Explorer | Level 4

I'm still having the problem described in this tread. Please assist.

richcaw
Explorer | Level 4

THanks @donawalt, this worked for me.
@donawalt wrote:

I thought I would share this - I have been waiting for the permanent fix from Dropbox, which will BE this fix - it has not come out yet, so I thought I would share the fix that worked for me. I think this is all they are going to add into an update but I am not sure about that. Can you see if this works for you? You may have to restart your computer if it doesn't work, but I didn't have to.

Open Terminal, and enter this command (all one line):

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

Then try the drag and drop again!

stevnan1
New member | Level 2

Its not just drop box.  I can't drag and drop multiple pictures out of an email to my desktop (I can do it one at a time); I can't drag and drop pictures into web apps like auction sites.  When I try the latter, the photo just opens up as soon as I let go of the mouse, and when you close it, it is not in the upload box.  I have to open the file in finder and select, copy and paste in order to upload photos.  It really sucks.

tailormadewords
New member | Level 2
thanks, that worked for me too!

Antonis_Pet
Helpful | Level 5

This works! Thank you @donawalt

Antonis_Pet
Helpful | Level 5

This works, thank you @donawalt 

Chris_Rathborne
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @donawalt  this solution worked for me as well on all machines.  Clearly its the resolution needed.  Was much easier to work with than the support.

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

Oh interesting! I am scared to use Terminal lol. How do you know this will be the Dropbox fix?

mlawson1986
Explorer | Level 4

For what it's worth, I recently did a full refresh on my MBP and grabbed the latest version of dropbox as a result, and this issue has resolved itself for me. If nobody has tried it yet, make sure Catalina is up to date, and just reinstall dropbox to ensure you're at the latest vrsion.

Rob C.24
Explorer | Level 4

@donawalt i get this message...

zsh: command not found: xattr

Need more support?