cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

Telecaster
New member | Level 2

I tried the suggested command in Terminal

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

My Terminal appears to start up in Bash so I didn't need to use the command to switch to Bash

The problem is fixed.  Thank you!

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

It's clear Dropbox just doesn't care. I will encourage everyone I know to take their cloud storage business elsewhere. Perhaps an industry publication will be interested in reporting on their indifference, if we all do our best to spread the word?

Fotmasta
Helpful | Level 6

That seems extreme, but it has been awhile with no fix in sight.

And I have a second unrelated problem with Dropbox.

And the price went up.

Maybe you're right— it could be time to go.

akuma91
Explorer | Level 4

I can confirm this works.

If you don't want to change your shell all the time, you can also just paste this into a file (mine was called dropbox-fix.sh):

#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n';
for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do
    echo "$path";
    xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"
done

It's the same script from before. Save it in your home folder. Go to a terminal and type the following commands:

chmod +x ~/dropbox-fix.sh
~/dropbox-fix.sh

chrisreedfilm
Explorer | Level 4

Jane - I just found this thread. I upgraded to Catalina and overnight now have this very same problem. Yes to extensions and everything else. Help!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, thanks for all your updates here!

I'd just like to let you know that the team is aware of this issue and are currently working on this. In the meantime, there are a few suggestions that other users have made previously here on this thread.

We'll be sure to let you all know of any updates as soon as we receive any news here.

If you have any other questions, please let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Daphne at Dropbox, et al.,

I'm not confident messing around with the terminal fix recommendations on this thread (thanks to those of you who created them!), which means that I will look forward to the official workaround.

Please let it be soon.

Stay safe out there,

Blytheathome
New member | Level 2

Same for me.  Can't drop files into Dropbox as I used to on my Mac Book Pro. This is a problem.

Another problem.  It seems that many of my PDF's have been corrputed.  When I try to open a PDF that's been stored in Dropbox, it opens to a blank white page.  Even if I move the document to my desktop it still doesn't open correctly.  Strange.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Blytheathome, I hope you're well today!

You may have missed my post above where I mentioned that this issue is something that our team is working on at the moment.

However, the other issue you mentioned regarding not being able to open your files is something unexpected that we can investigate further.

Can you just clarify for me, are these files synced to your computer as "online only" or "local"?

If they are not local :white_check_mark:, can you try right clicking the file and choosing "Smart Sync - Local" and try opening the file again after it has synced?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chrisreedfilm
Explorer | Level 4

So - I actually CAN drag all sorts files to Dropbox, but what I can't do is drag WORD files to Dropbox. Interestingly, I can save files from within Word to Dropbox, and I can drag Word files FROM Dropbox to my Mac. So this is a strange, one-way, one-software problem. Any further insights?

Need more support?