cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

batsonjay
Explorer | Level 4

Cool. Mail received, and replied-to. Thanks.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @donawalt & everybody else,

Could be used simpler variant, covering more cases, without using python, but 'jq':

IFS=$'\n'; for i in `cat ~/.dropbox/info.json | jq -r '.[] | .root_path, .path'`; do if [ "$i" != "null" ]; then echo "$i"; xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine "$i"; fi; done

Just another variant covering business subscription's "root_path", also. :wink:

Phillip D.4
Explorer | Level 4

@donawalt Thanks, I did try your code and got this error message: 

No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

Any insights?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Phillip D.4,

That mean you have no problem with the quarantine on the directory. Set also "-r" attribute. i.e. byself this "error" mean "no problem"! :wink:

Joe M.6
Explorer | Level 3

I've found an easy workaround for now. If you create a sub-folder in Dropbox (call it something like Extra or Stuff or whatever), you can drag that sub-folder to the sidebar and it will accept files. That sub-folder is now in your root Dropbox folder. At some point, you can go into your Dropbox folder and organize or clean out the sub-folder. It's not as elegant but it's much easier than C/V or other copy/paste solutions.

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

I've just discovered this problem on my own system, and just found this thread. I'm astonished this problem was reported so long ago and still hasn't been fixed! Can that be right? Since I pay for Dropbox, it seems to me that either this should be resolved promptly or else I should take my business elsewhere.

Two questions, then:

1) Has Dropbox said when this problem will be fixed?

2) Which competitor of Dropbox is the most intuitive for longtime Dropbox users?

Rob C.24
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here and similarly surprised to find out (now i know i'm not the only one) that it's still not been addressed. It's muscle memory to drag files to Dropbox this way, and it's frustrating every time it doesn't work as expected.

Joe M.6
Explorer | Level 3

I suspect it's actually an Apple issue and not a Dropbox one. Although if you look at my reply above yours, you can see I found a workaround.

Rob C.24
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah Joe M.6 - i went with that for now. Good suggestion.

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

I appreciate the workaround but I fear I'll lose track of where I've placed files. If it's "an Apple issue and not a Dropbox one," then Dropbox should say so. Have they offered any official explanation?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ctskelly New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    akoozab New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?