cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

Rick19744
Helpful | Level 5

This has been a frustrating issue for me as well.  Apple was not able to provide any assistance; and I do realize this is a 3rd party app.

However, after searching for this issue and coming across this string, the solution provided by John48 works for me as well.  Thank goodness.

And for those that may not have read through the entire string, what works for me is to click and drag the document and HOLD it over the dropbox icon for a second or so.  The dropbox folders will appear and you can drag it to where you want.

dcgc
New member | Level 2

Fiona --

Just discovered same problem here.  Catalina 10.15.2 on MacBook Pro, MacBook and Air.  Cannot not move files from Downloads to Primary Dropbox folder on any of these devices.

The issue is clearly dragging to the alias of Dropbox in the Left Sidebar Finder window. 

As with other people, if I open a 2nd Finder window, I can move a file from Downloads in the 1st Finder window to Dropbox in the 2nd window (again, not to the alias that shows in the Left Sidebar window).

I tried removing the Dropbox alias from the Left Sidebar and then putting it back in.  That didn't work.

Is there any fix yet?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dcgc and @Rick19744

I emailed you both to help the best way possible. 

Please respond there with the name of your device. 

@dcgc if you would add screenshots showing the 2 finder windows you are referring to, you would help me a lot. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Abukasem
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, Fiona, or any other dropboxer around. Has this issue been solved? If it has (or if you have any way to help), could you guide me, please? 

Thanks. 

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Abukasem. Sorry to hear you are having trouble as well. 

I understand you have read through this discussion and have tried workarounds that other users offer here. If you haven't please do. 

For me to assist you the best way possible I am sending you an email to investigate with device related details. 

:envelope: I used the address associated with your Community profile. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Fiona - I didn't hear from you about this. As a paying Dropbox customer, I ask you these questions:

1) What's the cause of this issue?

2) Does Dropbox plan to resolve it, and if so, when?

I'd appreciate your responding to these questions both by email to me and also publicly on this thread. Thanks!

Tim

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for mentioning me @newyorker1979

So the fix to this issue is currently offered by a specialized department of our support.

This is not an issue all Catalina users report to be facing and so we treat it as a technical issue and escalate each case to be fixed. This is why we are creating tickets for all of you. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. I personally have no information as to how this occurs exactly. 

If you want me to I can create a ticket for you, escalate it and forward this question directly to the agent that will assist you solve this. 

Thank you!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

newyorker1979
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Fiona,

I would like to escalate this issue and create a ticket.

I also want to register my frustration and disappointment that you have not offered to obtain and provide to the many followers of this thread any further information about what the fix offered by the specialized department entails and what the causes of the error are.

Tim

SajidKhanAlyani
Explorer | Level 3

It wouldn't be permissions for Dropbox as it's not Dropbox moving the files; it's you. If it is a permissions problem, it would be with your own computer user account. Remember, the Dropbox folder is just a folder like any other on your computer. When you move or copy files in and out of the folder, it's your operating system performing that function; not Dropbox.

the same problem i was facing after reading this thread .my all problem has been solved..really love it.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Glad to do this for you @newyorker1979

You got mail! :envelope: I used the email address assiciated with your Community profile. 

Please respond there with the name of your Catalina device and I will escalate as soon as possible. The next level of support will explain more about this issue. 

Again thank you for your feedback and participation. 

Have a nice weekend. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ctskelly New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    akoozab New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?