cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for staying in touch with me @Sparrow1 & @donawalt!

I came to the office a little bit later today & that’s why there was a short gap between my replies, however both tickets have been escalated with higher priority earlier today within the day. 

I hope this helps!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Phillip D.4
Explorer | Level 4

I get the same issue. Catalina 10.15.1. I set up a shortcut on the finder Sidebar. I drag a file into a dropbox folder and release it and it bounces back.

I checked all of the finder extensions etc and all checks out, and otherwise DB is working fine.

This bug definitely puts a crimp in my workflow, so looking forward to seeing if there is a fix. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi everyone,

At this thread beginning was noted a possible permission problem as a reason. I read everything up to here, but haven't seen any try, somebody to check for (or fix) eventual "pain source". Just some statements, that not a permission problem but nothing more. How is this confirmed? :thinking:

Did you have try fix possible permissions issue in Dropbox folder, like below? If somebody didn't yet, try following:

sudo chflags -R noschg "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"
sudo chown -R "$USER" "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"
chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox
chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

Will be ask for your password (sudo). Note: where Dropbox directory is used as a command's argument (either "/Users/$USER/Dropbox" or "~/Dropbox") replace it with actual path on your machine, if need (I have used the default path & name for personal account). If you moved and aren't sure about exact Dropbox directory place(s), take a look on the following command result:

cat ~/.dropbox/info.json; echo

Take a look on field "personal.path" and if it's a business subscription also on field "business.root_path".

Execute all commands in sequence (line by line) in terminal. If some error brings up, stop there and post the terminal content in a code block (</>), together commands & results (including error messages), exactly as appears, so "the picture" could be figured more accurate.

Hope this gives right direction. :wink:

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Phillip D.4, thanks for flagging! 

While you could try Zdravko’s suggestion, I’m also here to follow-up on my end if needed. Since I’d have to examine a specific directory that's causing you trouble, would it be okay if I reached out to you on the email address connected to your Community profile? 

If you confirm, I’ll create a ticket on our system & continue this discussion from where we left off here. 

Keep me posted on how you'd wish to proceed in your next message. Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Phillip D.4
Explorer | Level 4

Yes pls thank you. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for confirming @Phillip D.4!

I've just created a support ticket on our system on your behalf. Please have a look at the inbox connected to your Community login & I’ll touch-base with you asap. 

Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

bionic_beats
New member | Level 2

Hi exact same issue here. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @bionic_beats, thanks for the nudge! 

Would it be okay if I reached out to you on the email address connected to your Community profile? If you confirm, I’ll create a ticket on our system & continue this discussion from where we left off here. 

Keep me posted on how you'd wish to proceed in your next message.

Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Purejava
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone,

for me, the following solved the issue:

- open mac system preferences > users > login items > uncheck "Dropbox" to not load it on startup

- logout from your mac

- login again to your mac

- open activity monitor on your mac > end the Dropbox process

- uninstall Dropbox App using eg AppCleaner

- open the Terminal

- navigate to the folder that contains the Dropbox folder

- delete the Dropbox folder with "rm -rf Dropbox"

- Download the Dropbox offline installer

- install Dropbox (you'll be asked to re-connect your Dropbox)

- open mac system preferences > users > login items > check "Dropbox" to load it on startup

Kind regards

Jking7
New member | Level 2
First be gentle do just force the files in there study what and how to drag any file places and once you have the files in order then you put it the proper place.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ctskelly New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    akoozab New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?