cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Enter characters into the password field for a pw protected document

Can't Enter characters into the password field for a pw protected document

OCVA
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I am trying to access password protected files on a shared dropbox. 

I am able to log in and access the folders without issue (no special permissions are assigned to those folders.) 

When I click on a file that is password protected the file opens and a password box appears. When I try to type into this box the text dissappears. I am not able to enter anything into the field. 

I tried in Google Chrome and in Microsoft Edge. 

I tried first in Google Chrome and had the issue. ThenI tried in Microsoft Edge. I was able to type into the field and access the first document I selected.  After I closed that file and tried to open a second  password protected file I was not able to type into the field anymore. ( same issue as in chrome) 

After running into the issue in Edge I did the following:

Opened Chrome  -  cleared my cache/cookies etc, removed any saved passwords and cleared my browsing history (all for all time.) Closed Chrome (all windows.) Restarted Chrome, logged in and tried again. Couldnt type in a password. Closed Chrome

Opened Edge -cleared my cach, removed any saved passwords and cleared my browsing history (all for all time.) Closed the browser. Restarted browser, logged in and tried again. Couldnt type in a password. Closed Edge. 

Opened Chrome -  cleared my cach, removed any saved passwords and cleared my browsing history (all for all time.) Closed Chrome (all windows.)  Shut down my computer. waited 45 seconds. Turned my computer back on, opened chrom, logged in, tried to access a password protected file and couldn't type in any characters. 

What am I missing here? 

-Maddie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Enter characters into the password field for a pw protected document

OCVA
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, 

I am trying to open them in the dropbox site. They're opened online. They are not downloaded. 

I tried again today so I could get some screen shots and it seems the error has resolved. Maybe I just left it shut off long enough this time for it to be okay? ha. no clue

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @OCVA, thanks for joining the Community!

Are you trying to enter this password while viewing a file on the Dropbox site, or via another another site?

Are the files instead downloaded on your machine and opened in a specific app?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

OCVA
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, 

I am trying to open them in the dropbox site. They're opened online. They are not downloaded. 

I tried again today so I could get some screen shots and it seems the error has resolved. Maybe I just left it shut off long enough this time for it to be okay? ha. no clue

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropboxer

I'm happy to hear that the issue appears to be resolved now, @OCVA!

If you need any further assistance, please let me know. Enjoy your week!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?