cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Log In on desktop app

Can't Log In on desktop app

LeeStKilda
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My dropbox sharing has been alive and well on a range of computers and my phone.  About a year ago I changed my password, and at the time, my old PC laptop running Windows7 wouldn't sync - I let it be as my Macbook was looking after my needs.  I've now tried to get the PC up and running again, but it won't connect.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox software (no early version, just v 48.4.58. 

I've changed the Dropbox folder name and then changed it back again. 

"Connecting" spins with no connection. 

Preferences > Accounts shows I'm not logged in under any ID, but when I click "sign in" the platform box just disappears - nothing happens. 

After uninstall/reinstall, and deleting old files and emptying trash, the Dropbox folder shows all the old folders, but no recent ones - also nothing synced within them - all out of date.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LeeStKilda - thanks for posting your question in our Forum!

If you haven't done this yet, can you perform an advanced reinstall and let me know if you still have this issue? 

Give this a shot and let me know if this persists. If you still get the "Connecting" message, I would suggest to look for an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN setting that could be blocking the desktop app from connecting properly.

I hope this info helps and please let me know what you find.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LeeStKilda - thanks for posting your question in our Forum!

If you haven't done this yet, can you perform an advanced reinstall and let me know if you still have this issue? 

Give this a shot and let me know if this persists. If you still get the "Connecting" message, I would suggest to look for an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN setting that could be blocking the desktop app from connecting properly.

I hope this info helps and please let me know what you find.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LeeStKilda
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, i've uninstalled it again, and taken a step further and searched for any file wiht "dropbox" in its name on the C drive, and deleted that too.  I've cleared the trash can.  Proxies and Firewalls shouldn't be a problem.  I've downloaded the 'Dropbox 48.4.58 Offline Installer' software and have double clicked it from a Windows Explorer window... am awaiting results.  Fingers crossed!

LeeStKilda
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Fixed!  Took about five minutes for the login box to appear - and I unticked the Proxy box while the grey pop up box was still 'connecting', but it finally logged me in.  I can now see folders and files appearing.  Onwards...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you so much for keeping me posted during the whole process @LeeStKilda - glad to hear this worked for you!

If you have any questions, feel free to post it here and we'll be glad to help. Have a great day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?