cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't Log In on desktop app

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Can't login to my account.  When I click on the box icon on my desktop I can see previous file but when I try to upload/see new files that were sent to me via a gmail account, I am asked sign in.  the login protocol says "invalid user name".  I have verified that via the account setting that this is the same name associated with my account on my desktop.  I have reset my password and received an email from Dropbox on gmail confirming the change.  What suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't Log In on desktop app

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you Walter.  As a relatively novice user of Dropbox, I learned two things.  First, I was successful logging in if I used Google to log in.  Second, I learned that the sender of the file(s) did not give me permission to upload...so all I could do, once I opened them, was read them as attachments in real time.

Thank you again.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @blueburrito - sorry to hear about this.

As I'm not I understood where the problem lies exactly, could you send me a screenshot of the exact error you get along with the steps you take that result in it so I can get a better view of the matter at hand?

If you're indeed using the desktop app, could you send me a screenshot of its exact status?

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Moreover, as you mentioned that you're trying to access some files that were sent to you via a gmail account, could you clear your browser's cache, use an incognito or even another browser and let me know if you notice the same behavior?

Let me know if I'm missing something here please. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you Walter.  As a relatively novice user of Dropbox, I learned two things.  First, I was successful logging in if I used Google to log in.  Second, I learned that the sender of the file(s) did not give me permission to upload...so all I could do, once I opened them, was read them as attachments in real time.

Thank you again.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah so you were shared a file with view only access after all @blueburrito? That makes sense!

Glad to hear you managed to resolve your concern in the end and should you come up with any more Dropbox questions in the future, don't hesitate to let us know; we're always a post away

Have a wonderful weekend and welcome to our Community too!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?