cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Uninstall Dropbox

Can't Uninstall Dropbox

TStupar
Explorer | Level 4

I'm not able to open dropbox in order to "quit", and it also won't let me uninstall it because it says it's still "open".  How can I uninstall it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Uninstall Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @TStupar; much appreciated!

In that case, could you open he 'Activity Monitor' utility on your computer (normally located under Applications > Utilities)?

From there, please check if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device.

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, could you please perform the following steps?

• Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will 'Force a process to quit'.

After that, follow these steps to uninstall the app normally.

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @TStupar, welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this

Have you tried again after rebooting your computer at all?

If you did and this persists, can you clarify the OS of your device so that I can advise further?

Thanks so much!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TStupar
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I have tried rebooting.  My operating system is macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @TStupar; much appreciated!

In that case, could you open he 'Activity Monitor' utility on your computer (normally located under Applications > Utilities)?

From there, please check if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device.

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, could you please perform the following steps?

• Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will 'Force a process to quit'.

After that, follow these steps to uninstall the app normally.

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

TStupar
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you - that solved my problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?