cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access system tray preferences menu Windows 10

Can't access system tray preferences menu Windows 10

RunBear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am running DropBox desktop v 61.4.95 on Windows 10. If I left or right click the system tray Dropbox icon, I don't get any menu pop up. This means I have no way of accessing my preferences, including Sync settings.

It works fine on a different Windows 10 PC that I have and it used to work on this PC but I don't know exactly when it stopped working.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Try a CTRL-left click to access the legacy menu.

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @RunBear ), if it’s not too much trouble, would you mind sharing a screenshot (omitting personal info) of how this appears on your end, in order to have a better idea of what this looks like? 

Initially I’m wondering if that’s merely a visual issue loading elements correctly. Can you let me know whether you can load all other overlay icons as expected on your device :arrows_counterclockwise::white_check_mark:? Have you tried rebooting by any chance?

In similar cases, when we suspect that something isn’t working correctly, we usually advise attempting a re-installation. If you’d like to follow my advice, you can have a look at the steps below: 

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the :gear: icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". (Note: If you still have an issue loading the client window after rebooting, please do let me know here.) 
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall". 
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
  • At that point, I’d suggest disabling any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full (Windows)

Please keep me updated here on your findings or results whenever you have some spare time & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks in advance for taking the time to try my suggestions & I’m wishing you a relaxed Friday ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

RunBear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

2018-11-16.png

Hi Jane

See screenshot above. Yes, the icon changes depending on what Dropbox is doing. I have rebooted and tried reinstalling.

I notice that, when I click the dropbox icon, an hourglass appears very briefly (0.25 secs) and then disappears, but nothing else happens.

Steve

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Try a CTRL-left click to access the legacy menu.

RunBear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. Good workaround!

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the SPOILER tip.  Using PC Win10 couldn't get Personal and Business Dropbox to both show (LINK) in File Explorer.  "Gear" option for account preferences not available (at least to me...) .   Uninstalled Dropbox from PC, rebooted PC,  reinstalled Dropbox.  At conclusion of the install, sign into Business and it asked to link Personal.   Then all was good and File Explorer shows WORK Dropbox and Dropbox (Personal).  Thanks for the SPOILER suggestion. 

Bob 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Pleased to hear this did the trick for you Bob (@Bob38) & thanks a lot for sharing the news; we’re always here for more Dropbox tips & tricks, so feel free to post us at any time in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again. Take care until then!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That does nothing.

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Can't access system tray preferences menu Windows 10. The suggestions here do not work. I have downloaded the app 10 times.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @michaelytt, sorry to hear that my recommendation hasn’t fixed the issue you’re facing & I appreciate the time you devoted to try my suggestions. As it seems that you’ve already tried working on that on your end (& just so as to expedite resolution), let me have a closer look to your account specifics on my tools. To get going with that, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    SandySD New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    daintria Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?