cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot attach file

Can't attach files to emails in iOS

Stephjaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I cannot seem to attach a file from my Dropbox into my email using gmail. 

When I click on the attachment icon it does not give me the the file source of Dropbox, Just my ipad and Cloud are my choices. 

I am using an iPad and do a lot of  emailing from it. 

38 Replies 38

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can enable the Cellular data usage if you won’t have WiFi connection when you need to download files to be offline or update those that are already offline. This setting shouldn’t apply to the situation if you’re using WiFi when attaching files into your emails. Although, if you’re using cellular data, you might want to check in your device settings if the Dropbox app has permission to use data.

In terms of clearing the cache, this wont remove or delete anything from your Dropbox app and won’t affect your offline files. 

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mkristan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Daphne,

Really stuck with this one. I did the clear cache and stil not able to attach files. I am using the Outlook mail app with my gmail account and when I click the paper clip to attach, I choose attach file, scroll down to the Dropbox option and open that. What I get is the attached picture and just get stuck here with the icons fluctuating between white and gray (to suggest it is working on it) but never gets to the point of loading my file and folder options.  This is the same for my iPhone 8 and my iPad Pro.Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Mkristan,

Do you have Outlook connected with your Dropbox account? Perhaps you can try disconnecting and connecting the account from your Connected Apps page here to see if that will do the trick.

Also, can you let me know if you have the Dropbox app installed on your devices and which version you have?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mkristan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No luck. Tried both things.  White and gray fluctuations an iPad. On my iPhone I can actually pick the attachment have it attached but I cannot send it. It locks up there

Grizzly1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry about the delay in response. However I just left a meeting with a bunch of email  to take care of. I still cannot attach files, using my iPad (Pro ios 13.1.2 using iOS email app and dropbox.

I can add files using my iOS email from my iPhone(XR iOS 13.1.2) from dropbox. 
I can add the same file to multiple emails, send, etc. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, apologies for the tardy reply on my side!

@Mkristan, if you're still having the same issue, could you just try reinstalling the mobile Dropbox app to see if that does the trick at all? After having a further look into this it seems like it may be due to the Outlook mobile app not meeting the system requirements. However, let's try this and we can see what we can do from there!

@Grizzly1, would you also mind trying a reinstall of the mobile app to see if this helps with the issue with attaching files in the native email app? 

Let me know what happens and we can continue troubleshooting from there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

rwraysmith
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this same issue, too.  I need to upload a file immediately.  I can see the file.  Name, thumbnail, everything.  All my other files have little download icons to their upper right, but the file I need to attach does not have this.  I'm using the default iOS mail app, connected via both wifi and cellular, and the file does not attach.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @rwraysmith, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this!

If the file you need to attach doesn't have the cloud icon, then it should be available locally on your device. 

Are you able to tap the file to select it for attaching? Or is the file greyed out and can't be selected? If you'd like to, please send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info).

A step-by step of what actions you're taking and where you run into the issue would be very helpful.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Jburns
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Had this same problem and was getting the dreaded Content Unavailable Try Again error. Assuming that Dropbox is activated in the iOS Files app, I opened Dropbox app, clicked on the Account icon at screen lower right, and signed out of Dropbox. Waited about 15 seconds and signed back in. Problem solved. I was able to once again attach files to an iOS email from Dropbox.
Need more support?