cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change Dropbox location

Can't change Dropbox location

bobbd2000
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my search didn't show up anything.

I am moving from an old iMac to a new iMac. I used Migration Assistant to move everything to the new machine. My original Home folder was named Bob but the new one is Bob 1 (yes, with a space). I created a new admin so that I could rename the folder back to the original as well as correcting the Home Directory and Account Name in Advanced Options of Users and Groups. Even though I've changed those, when I start Dropbox, it asks for permission to access ~/Bob 1/.dropbox. If I enter my password, I get an error that Dropbox failed to start.

I tried recreating a Bob 1 directory and copied ~/Bob/.dropbox into it. I was able to start Dropbox and then changed the location in Preferences. I deleted Bob 1 again since I didn't needd it. However, the next time I restarted, Dropbox again pointed to Bob 1/.dropbox.

I then deleted Dropbox using AppDelete, so all of the associated files are also deleted. I also removed all Dropbox processes and restarted. I then reinstalled Dropbox using the Dropbox installer. However, when I started Dropbox, it still asks for permission for ~/Bob 1/.dropbox even though it should now be using the default location.

I also tried using the troubleshooting guide on permission errors but that didn't change anything on the next restart.

Have I missed something obvious?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't change Dropbox location

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @bobbd2000,

@bobbd2000 wrote:

I tried recreating a Bob 1 directory and copied ~/Bob/.dropbox into it. ...

In this context what have lead you to following conclusion:

@bobbd2000 wrote:
... However, when I started Dropbox, it still asks for permission for ~/Bob 1/.dropbox even though it should now be using the default location.

??? 🤔🤔🤔

You have copied the old settings, keeping "Bob 1" path. Copying this directory and everything inside doesn't change directory content (including any referred path) in any way. 😉

The best move, for you, would be remove ".dropbox" entirely (in fact unlinking the application) and link the application back to your account.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @bobbd2000,

@bobbd2000 wrote:

I tried recreating a Bob 1 directory and copied ~/Bob/.dropbox into it. ...

In this context what have lead you to following conclusion:

@bobbd2000 wrote:
... However, when I started Dropbox, it still asks for permission for ~/Bob 1/.dropbox even though it should now be using the default location.

??? 🤔🤔🤔

You have copied the old settings, keeping "Bob 1" path. Copying this directory and everything inside doesn't change directory content (including any referred path) in any way. 😉

The best move, for you, would be remove ".dropbox" entirely (in fact unlinking the application) and link the application back to your account.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

bobbd2000
Explorer | Level 3

Aha. So I deleted ~/Bob/.dropbox and restarted and everything is good.

Thank you very much.

Bob

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?