cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Dropbox at all in Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS

Can't connect to Dropbox at all in Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS

G_W_H
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox suddenly can't connect in Pop!_OS 20.04, I can't even login on the website (and strangely, sometimes it takes forever to load). I've already tried an advanced reinstallation, giving access to the specifics ports in the firewall,  and nothing worked.

But the thing is, I am running a dual-boot, and on Windows it works perfectly, loads the website just fine, I can login, the app runs smooth, everything. And even more weird is the fact that Dropbox was working just as perfectly on my Pop!_OS setup until days ago. One day it was working, and the next time I booted it up it was like I described in the beginnig. Very weird this sudden problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @G_W_H, currently, we can only officially support Ubuntu and Fedora installations of the Dropbox desktop application. Even though your OS is Ubuntu-based, we wouldn't be able to support it directly. 

In relation to your issue, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, security software, or even ISP/router issues could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Given that the Windows installation works fine, there must be something specific to the Linux installation which could be causing the issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @G_W_H, thanks for reaching out!

Can you please check if you have the minimum requirements for running the Dropbox app on your Linux computer?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

G_W_H
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't use Ubuntu, but Pop!_OS is Ubuntu based, I guess it should work. For the rest of the requirements, I may be wrong, but I believe it all checks.

G_W_H
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I know this problem probably doesn't have a exact solution, but still I would like to read some inputs that could be helpful, if not to solve the issue, to help understand it.

My guess is that it has something to do with the system, something that is blocking this connection, but I am not knowledgeable enough in Linux to figure out this type of stuff myself.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @G_W_H, currently, we can only officially support Ubuntu and Fedora installations of the Dropbox desktop application. Even though your OS is Ubuntu-based, we wouldn't be able to support it directly. 

In relation to your issue, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, security software, or even ISP/router issues could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Given that the Windows installation works fine, there must be something specific to the Linux installation which could be causing the issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

G_W_H
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Alright, got it! I will look into that. Thank you for your time and assistance @Jay and @Hannah 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, @G_W_H, if you have any further queries in future, please let us know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

metahead
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I know this is a very late addition but I was just installing Dropbox in Pop OS 21.04, having used it fine in 20.04 for a long time, and encountered a problem connecting to the download servers to fetch the daemon as well.

After trying the fetch manually I noticed it was connecting to the IPv6 address for the hostname, so I temporarily disabled IPv6 and the connection worked perfectly after that.

I would guess that your Windows installation already has IPv6 disabled, and that there must be something wrong with the routing or traffic filtering at Dropbox's (or a content provider in between) end... an easy fix anyway!

To temporarily (until next restart) disable IPv6 on Linux you can do this:

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

You can Google for some permanent solutions if this works and you need to keep it going. (I haven't yet tested whether IPv6 is broken for syncing as well, or just for fetching the initial daemon)

Hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

metahead Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    G_W_H Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?