cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete Dropbox from my Mac OS because it says it's open but it's not

Can't delete Dropbox from my Mac OS because it says it's open but it's not

cmulliga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

I've tried all the steps posted, including the re-install with the most recent installer and deleting all previous versions.  When I try to delete the Dropbox app from the finder menu, I still get the message that Dropbox is open.  I also had selected that I prefer Dropbox in the Finder Menu as opposed to the app, which may be at the root of the error, but there is no way to change it now that the app will not open.

Just FYI, I have a Early 2015 Macbook and just installed Mac OS Big Sur and had just transitioned to backing up my Mac on Dropbox but now the Dropbox app itself will not open and there is no backup of my Mac in my Dropbox account online.  I have also deleted and re-deleted Dropbox from my Login Items menu, but a version keeps appearing there, unchecked.  I have submitted a ticket with Dropbox Support, but if you can guide me through the steps of another solution so the "open" message will not continue appearing so I can get the app to delete and hopefully re-install, I would greatly appreciate any assistance.  Thanks so much for your time!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cmulliga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I was referring to Jane's thread re: Dropbox downloads let me see if I can find a direct link.  I thought I replied directly to it and it would tag her.  I resolved the issue by eventually deleting all versions of the Dropbox.exe installer except the most recent manual one, which finally enabled me to open the app.  I thought I had gotten them all, but apparently there was one outstanding.  Here is the link to the thread--the issue has been resolved and I can now access the app and adjust my backup preferences, etc.: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Actual-Desktop-app-won-t-open/td-p/372...

Thanks for pointing out that I hadn't actually linked to the correct thread. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @cmulliga, thanks for messaging today!

Could you clarify which thread you are referring to here, in order to be able to assist further?

I assume that quitting the application from the menu bar at the top of the screen isn't helping to quit the app?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cmulliga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I was referring to Jane's thread re: Dropbox downloads let me see if I can find a direct link.  I thought I replied directly to it and it would tag her.  I resolved the issue by eventually deleting all versions of the Dropbox.exe installer except the most recent manual one, which finally enabled me to open the app.  I thought I had gotten them all, but apparently there was one outstanding.  Here is the link to the thread--the issue has been resolved and I can now access the app and adjust my backup preferences, etc.: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Actual-Desktop-app-won-t-open/td-p/372...

Thanks for pointing out that I hadn't actually linked to the correct thread. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cmulliga Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?