cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't delete a folder.

Can't delete a folder.

Маргарита К.
New member | Level 1

After deleting it pops out again, immediately afterwards or after some time, for no apparent reason. Please, help.

7 Replies 7

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Hi there! Reappearing files and folders usually occur because one or more of the computers that are synced are still accessing the folders. If you delete them, an application on another computer recreates them to continue working on the files.

To solve this issue, you should delete the file or folder from the Dropbox folder on the computer that's recreating the file. You can see which computer has re-added the file by going to the website and checking previous versions of the file.

The instructions for checking a file's version history can be viewed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Please note that you can only view the previous version of files not folders. If you have a reappearing folder, you'll need to open the folder until you locate a file, so that you can view the previous version of the file within the folder.

Маргарита К.
New member | Level 1

Thank you, I'll write if I succeed.

Asmin C.
New member | Level 1

My folders are empty and have no files in them, but they still keep re-appearing after deleting. Since there's no files I can't check previous versions. What else can I do?

Jacob C.4
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue as Asmin C. Is there a fix to this issue yet?

John O.24
New member | Level 2

So am I ... over 3 weeks and still cant delete a folder. I have no problems with deleting other folders/files. It all started when I moved the folder, the folder and contents moved ... then a fresh new copy re-appeared in the original spot. I deleted all the contents but can't delete the folder

Jan Pieter D.
New member | Level 1

Same here. Impossible to delete an empty folder.

When I rename this Folder1 to Folder2, Folder1 reappears, so then I have 2 empty folders. Imho this proves the problem is not caused by another connected computer. If that was the case the folder should be renamed on that computer too.

John O.24
New member | Level 2

I emailed Dropbox, they responded within 24hrs. Fixed.

As per Ashley's comments above, it may be another computer or device that is the issue, so as a last resort to get complete control turn off/unlink all devices/pcs accessing the folder

I had to "un-share" one folder to delete the reappearing issue, which was a pain because I had to re-share the folder and explain to colleagues why.

One Solution that may work: Don't move folders around too quickly after files have been placed into them (especially large files), allow the cloud to sync first. The folders sync fast, but some files obviously don't. So if the cloud (Dropbox server) is syncing a file and the folder moves, it will create a new one (my thoughts)

For example, I placed a file into a folder and then moved the folder (about 10-20 seconds) ... that created a reappearing folder. I then tried the same by FIRST moving the folder (full of other files), then placing the new file into the folder - that worked OK

Hope that helps 🙂

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?