cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't disable "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox"

Can't disable "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox"

bbincc
Explorer | Level 4

I can't disable "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox." I'm on a Mac.

I do the following:
1. Open Dropbox preferences.
2. Select the Backups tab.
3. Uncheck "Can't disable "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox."
4. Click another tab.
5. Click the Backups tab again. When I do, the "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox" is rechecked.

The same happens if I exit Preferences and open them again.

13 Replies 13

Re: Can't disable "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox"

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @bbincc, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Could you try installing the app using this link, without first uninstallling it, to see if this repairs the app?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bbincc
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, Thanks. After installing from the link, the problem persists. I noticed after I posted this that I have the problem on my other Mac, too. In both cases, I don't provide Dropbox admin access to my computer -- i.e., when prompted to provide my password, I don't. Perhaps that's the reason. Anyway, I hadn't realized it was happening on the other Mac, too. I think I'll just live with it. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @bbincc!

Can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer?

Also, if you haven't already, please try rebooting your device to see if that helps with changing the setting.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bbincc
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I'm on a macOS Catalina running v107.4.443 of Dropbox.

Rebooting didn't help. 

Thanks,

Bob

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @bbincc.

I'd suggest trying an advanced reinstall of the app to see if that does the trick.

This removes all previous Dropbox settings for when you reinstall, so that should allow you to disable this setting.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

bbincc
Explorer | Level 4

I'll try this and let you know. Thanks.

Screenshot Preference keeps turning itself back on in MacOS

Dropthedragon
New member | Level 2

Hello Dropbox. Sad that you don't offer customer support directly. We have to create yet another online account, enter a code from sms, do an 8-step human verification to log in, and then float our question to 'community', retyping the query multiple times along the way. Rubbish.

I reviewed my Dropbox app settings on my Mac and lo and behold Dropbox decided to select copying my screenshots. Nice! now I have to remember to quit all things Dropbox before making a screenshot.

I deselected the checkbox to turn the feature off, checked other Preference panes and went back thru and screenshots was turned on again!

Searching the help pages here I only saw a similar problem from about 3 years ago on Windows 7, nothing about MacOS. That one referred to OneDrive or other apps taking over screenshots. I don't use OneDrive or have any other screenshot app that I'm aware of.

I do not want this feature enabled. If anyone has a solution please let me know.

I didn't see any more relevant Community Location or Label for the question so chose 'files & folders' and no label.

Dropbox app 107.4.443, Mac OS 10.12.6

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Dropthedragon, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with this so far!

I've just merged your post here as it seems that you're having a similar issue to the OP here.

If you haven't already, can you give the suggestions mentioned here a go, to see if that does the trick?

If you're using a Basic account and currently have more than 3 devices connected, please don't perform a full uninstall/reinstall action as you would need to unlink some devices to stay under the recent 3 device limit.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Not able to switch off the screenshot saving option in the settings (dropbox app., Mac OS Catalina)

_Dmitry_
Explorer | Level 3

Does anyone know why I'm not able to switch off the screenshot saving option in the "settings ---> back-ups--->screenshots"?

Actually I can uncheck the box, but it appears again after closing the settings...

Dropbox app. for Mac OS Catalina

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

goodron New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    _Dmitry_ Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?