cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't drag file to a folder I can't see.

Can't drag file to a folder I can't see.

Italy P.
Explorer | Level 4

I have a folder with a lot of files. I have created more folders to sort them into. I can't drag a file to a folder I can't see. Nothing happens when I try to drag above the files I can see.

The Move dialogue is a) too many steps and b) doesn't show the level I am working in.

If I could open another window showing the folders, maybe I could drag them between one window and another. 

How to organize files?

10 Replies 10

Re: Can't drag file to a folder I can't see.

Mark
Super User II

Where is this?

Website/computer?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Italy P.
Explorer | Level 4

Using DropBox online.

Mark
Super User II

You have to use Move dialogue I'm afraid

If directories are not appearing check they've uploaded at www.dropbox.com/home and if they are there log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Italy P.
Explorer | Level 4

OMG. That's horrible. I can't move 1000 files one by one with that clunky dialogue.

Wow. This may be the wrong tool for us. 

Ideas? 

If I get the desktop version, will I be able to accomplish this?

Mark
Super User II

You can highlight via the web interface, but, Dropbox is simply not designed to be solely used via the website. The website is designed for 'when not at your own machine'. 

Dropbox is a syncing tool. You are supposed to install the software on your machine (www.dropbox.com/install) which creates a folder on your computer called 'Dropbox' where everything downloads to. You can then manipulate that as much as you want and all changes replicate back to the website and then any other linked devices.

Italy P.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks so much for your help.

I will try to use on local machine. But what about size? There are a lot of files on the DropBox.  I can't store them all on my machine.

Thanks.

Mark
Super User II

But what about size? There are a lot of files on the DropBox

When setting up Dropbox choose the advanced options and you can select which folders to download to your machine and which not to. 

Note, however, the point below. 

I can't store them all on my machine.

Then you need to use the website to move them. 

Italy P.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks.

Do you of another solution that would be better at allowing us to store and manage a large number of files?

Mark
Super User II

I dont I'm afraid, sorry.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Italy P. Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?