cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find downloaded Desktop App

Tony1947
Explorer | Level 3

I just downloaded and installed the individual trial that allows online storage

I can download files, but only to the folder on my HD, nothing is going to the cloud

I read I need to install the dropbox desktop ap, which I apparently have done. I watch the process of the download but cannot find the app once the download ends.

Seems like a stupid question but can someone help me?

I"m using a MAC

3 Replies 3

Re: Can't find downloaded Desktop App

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Tony1947,

Once you've downloaded the app, you should see a Dropbox icon appear in your menu bar near your clock. You can check the sync status by clicking on this icon or by navigating to the Dropbox folder from your Finder window and checking the sync icons next to your files.

If you check your account online, are you able to see any files that you added to the Dropbox folder there?

I hope this helps, let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tony1947
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply. (Very much!)

I have the icon on my menu bar now but I don't see away of determing if a file is offline or on my hard disk through it. 

Although at set up I specified I wanted all new downloads to go online and not on my hard disks, it appears to me that downloads are still going to my HD (which they are, since that folder is filling) I can't determing where the online folder or or find anyway of making sure that future files go online and do not take up HD space.

I have my hearts set on buying this product but this trial isn't working out so far.

Thanks

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Tony1947,

If you open up the Dropbox folder from your Finder window (you should see a shortcut in the left panel), you should see a grey cloud icon next to your files if they're online only. When a file is smart synced as "online only", you'll be able to see the files in your Dropbox folder on your computer, but they won't take space on your hard drive.

You can double check that by using Command+click on the Dropbox folder, or a folder/file within the Dropbox folder, and choosing "Get info". From there, it will tell you the space the file is taking on your hard drive.

If you prefer not to see certain folders on your desktop at all and want to have them only accessible online, then you can use selective sync instead.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?