cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find gear icon used for selective syncing

Can't find gear icon used for selective syncing

Tinkerman
Helpful | Level 5

I've followed the directions for selective syncing, opening the dropbox app on my laptop (pc running window 10).  The window shows my recent dropbox activity and has several icons at top right (open dropbox paper, open dropbox.com, etc.) but the gear (settings) icon is nowhere to be found.  Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't find gear icon used for selective syncing

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Tinkerman,

When you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, in the top right corner of the window you'll see a profile pic/initials icon. You will need to click this to access the menu where you can choose "Preferences..." and then follow the remaining steps for selectively syncing. 

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Tinkerman,

When you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, in the top right corner of the window you'll see a profile pic/initials icon. You will need to click this to access the menu where you can choose "Preferences..." and then follow the remaining steps for selectively syncing. 

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Tinkerman
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Daphne, that's what I needed.  Looks like the Gear Icon instruction is obsolete.

- Tinkerman

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Tinkerman,

I'm glad I could help and apologies for any confusion! I've made sure to bring that up with our team to get that updated.

Hope you have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tinkerman
Helpful | Level 5

Same question again, but now with a MacBook Pro.

How do I get to the DropBox application menu.  All I can seem to access is the DropBox folder in Finder, and not the app itself.    Dropbox appears as an icon on the desktop and every way I click it just opens Finder.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Tinkerman,

Do you see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar in the top right corner of your screen? Clicking on this will give you the same window as on the Windows so you can continue with the above steps.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?