cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get folders off my computer w/ smart sync

Can't get folders off my computer w/ smart sync

jstudios
New member | Level 2

I have the dropbox app and my settings are set as "online-only" and none of my folders are selected to be on my desktop, yet they still are. I keep trying to get them off my desktop and remain as online-only but I can't figure out how.

Help! I have no more space on my computer. 

7 Replies 7

Re: Can't get folders off my computer w/ smart sync

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @jstudios, I hope you're well today!

So we can see exactly what's happening there, I'd just like to ask you a few questions.

When you apply smart sync to the files, do they now appear with the grey cloud sync icon next to those files/folders?

When you right click the file and choose "Properties" or "Get Info", what size do you see the file taking on the disk? Could you send me a screenshot of this?

Finally, can you just let me know which OS the device is that you're using?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jstudios
New member | Level 2

Hi there - it won't even give me the option for "properties" or "get info" 

It does have a grey cloud next to it when I'm in preferences, but on the app itself, it says local and is on my computer. 

I have an Mac OS 10.14.6

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly here @jstudios!

You should be able to see those options when right clicking (Command+click) on any file/folder within the Dropbox folder in your Finder.

Just to make sure I fully understand what you mentioned, within the Finder window are you seeing the grey cloud icon next to the files, or a green tick :white_check_mark:?

Since you mentioned that your settings are set to "online only", if the files had already synced to your desktop as local (with a green tick), you'll need to manually change those. 

You can do this by Command+clicking files/folders within the Finder and choosing "Smart sync - online only".

I hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jstudios
New member | Level 2

I've tried all of this and still nothing. 

Here are screen shotsScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.46.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.47.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.47.25 PM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hmmm, that's strange indeed. :thinking:

It seems to show the files as being local from the menu but the folders also have the online only icon next to them.

Could you try for one of the folders choosing from the menu, "Smart Sync - Online only" and let me know if the check mark moves next to online only instead of local?

For one of those folders, can you Command+click and choose the option "View in Finder" and once there, Command+click the folder again and choose "Get info".

From that window, would you mind sending me a screenshot of what shows for the space taken on the disk?

Thanks for your patience with this, keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

jstudios
New member | Level 2

It's so strange - it says that only 8mb are taken up on my disk, but when I go on manage storage, it's all on there. Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 1.29.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 1.34.27 PM.png

Won't let me send screenshot of my storage space - but it has 197gb on there that are all the dropbox files. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @jstudios!

It seems that the OS isn't correctly reading the reduced space that the Smart Synced files are taking on your hard drive. 

We currently have a process to opt you in for "zero sized placeholders", which should reflect the reduced space of the files correctly on the device.

I've reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile. If you'd like to continue with this, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll take if from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?