cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get gear , so can't do selective sync

Can't get gear , so can't do selective sync

Paul A.25
Collaborator | Level 8

I've installed Dropbox under Windows 10 -- sort of.  It doesn't show up in the bar at the bottom of the screen.  If I click on Dropbox in the Start menu, it shows me a file list of my Dropbox files, but no triple bar or gear.  I can't get the desktop to uninstall, either (I was hoping I could cure the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling).  I've reinstalled it several times.  How can I get the gear?

7 Replies 7

Re: Can't get gear , so can't do selective sync

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Paul A.25,

So if you have the desktop app installed and running, you should be seeing the Dropbox icon in the system tray. If you have an upward arrow appearing in the system tray, you may need to click this to expand it to be able to see the Dropbox icon (which you can then drag to where you want it located in the system tray if you’d like).  

If you’re not seeing the icon at all then it suggests the app isn’t running. To launch the app, you can press the Windows “Start” key on your keyboard and type “Dropbox” to search your computer. You should see an option for Dropbox App which you need to click to launch the app. 

Once you’ve done so and (hopefully) see the icon appear, when you click this you’ll need to click the profile picture/initials icon in the top right to access the “Preferences….” option.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paul A.25
Collaborator | Level 8

I still haven't fixed the problem, but I understand it a little better -- and I have a strong recommendation for Dropbox!

Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to bring up the Dropbox icon from the arrow and place it in the system tray.  Clicking on it, I discovered that it was in the "Starting..." state.  My Dropbox contains a lot of stuff that I don't want to download, and this huge unwanted download is clogging my machine.  Trouble is, once it gets going I don't know how to stop it.

My suggestion is that when Dropbox is first installed, it should not do a sync or download anything.  Instead it should offer a Selective Sync, with the default being the null download.  It would then be possible for user to download only what they want.

Meanwhile, how do I stop this massive download?

Paul A.25
Collaborator | Level 8

One other thought: there are different ways of installing Dropbox.  What I think I did was to request the installation from the web listing of my files.  The selection of what to download should be available nomatter how Dropbox is being installed.

Paul A.25
Collaborator | Level 8

Another problem: I can't force-quit Dropbox because Task Manager doesn't list it when it's in its initial state.

Daphne
Dropboxer

When you first sign into the Dropbox desktop app, you will be given the choice to choose how to sync your files. There you should be able to use selective sync to choose to not sync specific folders before the “first sync” occurs.

What I’d recommend doing so that you can apply these settings would be to unlink the device from your account from your Security page here and then uninstalling the desktop app. If you’re unable to uninstall Dropbox then please restart your device and try again. 

Once you’re able to download and install the desktop app again after successfully uninstalling, you will be prompted to sign in and then choose how to sync your files (apply selective sync). 

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paul A.25
Collaborator | Level 8

Well, I managed to uninstall and unlink Dropbox (does the order matter?).  I then deleted the Dropbox directory and all its children, and verified that they were gone using dir.  I then reinstalled Dropbox and selected Online Only.  But all my files are  coming back anyway, which I neither wanted nor expected.   What might have caused that?  And how (this is probably the same question) can I prevent the reload when I reinstall Dropbox?  I thought that Online Only would do that, but it appears that it did not.

Daphne
Dropboxer

It sounds like to applied smart sync to the files instead of selective sync. Having the files sync to your computer as “online only” with smart sync will allow you to see the files but they won’t take space on your hard drive. 

However, if you prefer to not have the files syncing to your desktop at all, you can go ahead with unlinking and uninstalling the app again (I’d recommend doing it in this order). Then, when you have reinstalled the app and signed back in, can you send me a screenshot of the options you see? 

Otherwise, you can allow the sync to complete and then apply selective sync once the app is up to date.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?