cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install dropbox

Can't install dropbox

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello developers,

I am unable to install new version of dropbox.

My PC is HP EliteOne 1000 G1 27-in 4K UHD AiO

Before it was correctly but now it is not showing in System Tray and also not synching. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but not working. I have also deleted Drob box folder, but seems to be not working.

Please help as soon as possible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have installed and uninstalled dropbox many times, does not work. Reseeting PC didn't work. At last I have format my c-drive and installed windows. Now Its working. Installing windows to run an application nobody likes. I request the developer to add a powerful uninstaller to dropbox which may ask user to remove dropbox completely while uninstalling.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello mkmr484

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  Let's see if we can get this to work

Take a look at this Help Center Article https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall 

look at the instructions by clicking on Windows and then follow the steps.

Let us know how it went.  Hope this works for you

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. Problem is that after installing dropbox when I clik on dropbox icon, it is not working. I have also tried Local Disk(C)> Program files (x86) > Dropbox > client > Dropbox application using run as administrator, still not working.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Did you do the steps outlined in the article?  

1. Quit the Dropbox desktop app. (To do so, click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar, click your avatar (profile picture or initials), and click Quit).
  2. Uninstall the Dropbox desktop app from your computer.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Open the Windows Registry editor.
  5. Double-click the folder named “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” to open it.
  6. Inside that folder, find the “Dropbox” and “DropboxUpdate” folders by searching in the folders named “SOFTWARE” and “WOW6432Node”. They’ll be in either or both locations.
  7. Delete the “Dropbox” and “DropboxUpdate” folders. (To do so, right-click each folder and click Delete).
    • Note: Don’t delete the main Dropbox folder on your computer. At no point in this process should you be deleting that folder.
  8. Open File Explorer search for the folder “%LOCALAPPDATA%”.
  9. Inside that folder, delete the “Dropbox” folder.
    • Note: Don’t delete the main Dropbox folder on your computer. At no point in this process should you be deleting that folder.
  10. Repeat steps 8 through 10 with the following folders, deleting the “Dropbox” folder inside each: “%APPDATA%, “%PROGRAMFILES%”, and “%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%”.
    • Note: If you can’t find the folders, it means they’re already deleted and you can move on to the next step.
  11. Download and install the Dropbox desktop app.
    • Since your original Dropbox folder is still on your computer at this point, if you don’t want to create a new one, click Advanced Settings during the download prompts and click the location of your existing Dropbox folder. For example, if your Dropbox folder is located at “D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox”, choose “D:\OtherDrive\Folder”.

if it says it can't install, try killing Dropbox processes by going to Task Manager and highlighting Dropbox, and selecting Kill.  you can find Task Manager by right-clicking

on taskbar and select Task Manager

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I have followed the instruction several times. Still not able to connect drop box with my account. When I clicked on the dropbox icon nothing happening. It is not prompting to connect any account. I have logged out from the browser. Deleted every folder of dropbox. When installing previous version of dropbox dropbox icon was in the system tray, but it was unable to connect internet i guess and after a while it got updated to latest version. I dont understand why. I dont understand why the application file is not working when clicking. I have deleted drop box folder from the drive and it is making files available online on the drive. Please update the dropbox installer files. The client is able to download though.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

okay, hmm,  how far along does it install, when you install Dropbox Client, does any dialog box opens up?  does it ever tell you that it's installed?

I am confused with one part of your reply.  You stated:

@mkmr484 wrote:

The client is able to download though.

what do you mean by this?

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No it is not telling anything. The installing box disappear. The dropbox icon came back to start bar. Thats it. When I click on the icon nothing is happening.

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox is installing through dropbox client of 10 MB i guess. It is downloading files then installing. While installing, the box disaapears and after that it is showing nothing.

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is not prompting to link any account neither it creates any folder in the drive.

mkmr484
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I dont know why but after installing "Dropbox set up dialog box" is not popping up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Brno Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?