cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install/uninstall/launch dropbox

Can't install/uninstall/launch dropbox

Alphα
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I'm having a huge problem with my dropbox since 2-3 days. I can't find any solution by myself.

As the title said, I can't even connect / open / install or uninstall the program from my computer running w10.

I tried to install older version (not working).

I also removed all dropbox associated computers from my account.

At this moment, I've removed all processus and files that I could in order to intall with the setup again but no way. So currently, I can't do anything.In anyways I get this error message :

That's french (no english one sorry).

[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox\client\main.pyo", line 829, in boot_error
  File "dropbox\client\main.pyo", line 5254, in get_dropbox_path
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'local_config'

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox\client\main.pyo", line 5534, in main_startup
  File "dropbox\client\main.pyo", line 2033, in run
  File "dropbox\client\main.pyo", line 1031, in startup_low
  File "dropbox\client\flush_and_terminate\__init__.pyo", line 35, in create
  File "dropbox\client\flush_and_terminate\windows.pyo", line 70, in __init__
  File "dropbox\client\flush_and_terminate\windows.pyo", line 45, in create_named_process_event
error: (1332, 'LookupAccountName', 'Le mappage entre les noms de compte et les ID de s\xe9curit\xe9 n\x92a pas \xe9t\xe9 effectu\xe9.')

Help appreciated 🙂

11 Replies 11

Re: Can't install/uninstall/launch dropbox

Karina
Dropboxer

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting on our forum page! 

I'd love if we could move this to email as there are several additional steps we will have to take in order to get the full functionality out of your Dropbox desktop application again. 

Please keep an eye out for my email!

Thanks,
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Alphα
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I had re installed win10 to solve the problem last week. Today I got the same problem because I change my microsoft account to a local account.

What's your email? Contact me fast as possible at ratchetstephane@live.fr

Best regards,

dntrain
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem.  I've tried downloading the offline installer and older versions and it will not install.  This started after dropbox told me to update and connected me to download an installer. 

Didier C.
Collaborator | Level 9

That's really strange, because I (and a lot of other users) had the same issue in OS X (Snow Leopard), but my PC running Windows 10 had already updated Dropbox to the latest stable build, and everything works fine...

Apparently, there's something wrong with the copy of Python that Dropbox rolls into its installers. Maybe it issues the wrong commands to update/upgrade an already existing Python copy, or maybe not with sufficient rights elevation, I don't know.

hanskap
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Didier,

Did you find a solution for the mac?

Regards

Hans

Didier C.
Collaborator | Level 9

So far, the only "solution" we've come up with is more of a workaround, really, and it involves

- Completely uninstalling Dropbox from your Mac with the help of AppCleaner (here: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_2.3.zip);

- Installing Dropbox build 15.4.22 (from here, for example: http://filehippo.com/fr/mac/download_dropbox_for_mac/71865/), which is the latest stable build known to work on Snow Leopard;

- Waiting for install to proceed completely, and for the Dropbox icon to appear in the Menu Bar;

- IMMEDIATELY drag-and-dropping the Dropbox.app bundle onto the Utilities folder, so as to prevent Dropbox from auto-updating to a newer build.

Other people in this forum also mentioned that they managed to prevent Dropbox from auto-updating by installing a freeware called Little Snitch, and instruct it to block the Dropbox auto-update daemon from accessing the Web.

(I didn't do that, but apparently, it works too, and allows you to leave the Dropbox.app bundle in the Applications folder.)

That's where we stand as of this moment. I'm sure Dropbox is aware of the problem, and that they are going to find a more long-term solution, but in the meantime, that's how you have to proceed to be able to use Dropbox on a Mac running Snow Leopard...

hanskap
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Didier,

Wow you helped me out!

Everybody is repeating the same windows-story, but that doesnt work for the macusers.

Your solution did! so its working again, thanks a lot!

Regards

Hans

hanskap
Explorer | Level 3

i see i got the message again. i did put the dropbox.app in the utilities folder.

But ive the same problem...

What i did wrong? I have to open the dropbox.app to get it working.

But it stays in the utilities folder... did the dropbox update perhaps?

Regards

Hans

Didier C.
Collaborator | Level 9

Uninstalling via AppCleaner is the key, because this app will remove all traces of Dropbox from your Mac, including hidden folders/files that may have to do with the Dropbox.app auto-updating and pushing the new release, the one that doesn't work on Snow Leopard anymore...

So, all in all, you must drop the Dropbox.app bundle/icon onto the AppCleaner window, leave all the items checked (your personal folder and the files inside won't be deleted), and delete them all; they'll go to the Trash anyway, so if you notice something personal missing, you can always put it back.

After that, you reinstall Dropbox version 15.4.22, wait for the icon to show in the Menu Bar (that's important, because it means the app is fully up-and-running), THEN you move the Dropbox.app bundle to Utilities.

It has worked for me, and is still working, even after putting my Mac to sleep or in hibernation. The one downside is, if you restart your Mac, it'll trigger the auto-update, and you'll have to do it all over again...

A real pain in the rear, but there you have it: until Dropbox fixes this issue, this workaround is pretty much all we've got...

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hanskap Explorer | Level 3
    van Helpful | Level 6
    Didier C. Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?