cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't login to Google from Dropbox (desktop)

Can't login to Google from Dropbox (desktop)

JLowder
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to open a Word file housed on Dropbox using Google Docs, using the Open drop down menu at the upper right, I am directed to the Sign In To Continue screen for Google, but when I hit the Sign In button, the screen blips and kicks me back to the same screen. It won't allow sign in.

• The Dropbox and Google accounts are linked in Dropbox.
  • I am using the same email for both the Dropbox and Google accounts.
  • This sign in issue happens both when I am logged into Google Docs when I try to open the document and when I am not signed in to Google.
  • The document can be viewed successfully in Dropbox, but if I change the default editing apps setting for Word to Google Docs, the document cannot be viewed and I am redirected to the Sign In page.
  • I am using a Windows machine, Firefox (71.0) as a browser.
  • I've tried changing various cookie settings in Firefox, but that doesn't seem to help.

Suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reporting this issue @JLowder

Please post a screenshot of the freezing screen, for me to understand exactly where the problem is. 

Let's troubleshoot some more on your browser. :gear:

1. Try following the same steps in an incognito window/private browsing mode. Firefox incognito. :sunglasses: 
  2. Clear your browser's cache. 
  3. Restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins.
  4. Try another browser to see if you get the same behavior. 

Keep me posted!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reporting this issue @JLowder

Please post a screenshot of the freezing screen, for me to understand exactly where the problem is. 

Let's troubleshoot some more on your browser. :gear:

1. Try following the same steps in an incognito window/private browsing mode. Firefox incognito. :sunglasses: 
  2. Clear your browser's cache. 
  3. Restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins.
  4. Try another browser to see if you get the same behavior. 

Keep me posted!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

JLowder
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Screenshot_2019-12-20 Dropbox.png

Here's the screen shot, @Fiona. This is where I end up after selecting Google Docs from the Open dropdown menu in the upper right when viewing the document in Dropbox I want to edit.

I tried getting into Dropbox and accessing the document incognito. Logged in to Dropbox. Called up the document. Selected open in Google Docs from dropdown menu. I was sent to the usual login page (image above), but this time when I clicked on Sign In, the Google login for user name and then password came up. After I entered the password, however, it kicked me back to the login screen copied above.

Cleared the Firefox cache. Same thing as with accessing things incognito. The Sign In button worked, but filling in user name and password brought me back to the screen copied above. If I try to Sign In again, the screen blips but stays on the same page.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see. :slight_frown:

Please let me know if you have restored the browser to it's default settings as well. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

desRC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this problem. Have tried different browsers and resetting browser settings. Window 10/Chrome

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @desRC, thanks for taking the time to fix this; let’s see what we can do here. 

I’m wondering if you’ve confirmed all the details listed by the OP on their first message. Are you seeing the same thing happening for all Word files or only some? 

To use Dropbox for G Suite, the email you use for your Google account must match the email you use for your Dropbox account, so it would be great if we started from there. 

Give me a nudge when you’re ready to continue looking into that!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

JLowder
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For the Firefiox issue I was having, the solution seems to be disabling Privacy Badger on Dropbox. That is allowing me to get past the Sign In screen to Google Docs.

Thanks for all the help!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for looping back with this update @JLowder! 😊

Now that you know where you can find us, feel free to drop us a line on the Community in the future for any similar questions. Happy holidays! :snowflake:

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    JLowder Helpful | Level 6
    desRC New member | Level 2
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?