cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

peterjj12346
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a Mac Pro running 10.11.6. I have five internal drives in my Mac Pro, all traditional Mac OS Journaled (etc.). I'm retiring one of my internal drives, one that my Dropbox files are stored on, so I'm trying to move the files from one internal drive to another, by using Preferences > Account > Dropbox location.

The original hard drive has 56GB available. The destination drive has 335GB available. My dropbox is about 16GB.

Whenever I do it, the progress bar continues (Moving Dropbox (x / 20060 files)) until close to the end, when I get an error message: "Error moving Dropbox. Unexpected errors ocurred. Your Dropbox is ok!"

I've tried it multiple times, and have also tried restarting the computer. I also tried simply copying it over manually (it copies fine). But if I do the manual copy, I don't know how to tell Dropbox to "bless" the new location.

Any ideas?

31 Replies 31

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Stefan M. : we are not talking about the content folder, were talking about the application folder and the application user data folder.

ken S.22
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have limited space in my c drive and want to move Dropbox to D drive, but

option in Dropbox Preferences /Account is grayed out.  Anyone have a solution?

Francesco F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've same problem

mangi k.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to keep more space in C drive for better processing.Hence, I don't want to keep Dropbox in C drive.

I moved it to other drive .Now , the dropbox is not sync with other device.It used to sync when it was in C drive.

Please advice.

VeroKaren
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Help. I have a Laptop and ran out of space. I called one of my IT guys and they moved my Dropbox to my D drive which is larger than my C drive and has plenty of room as I had someone add memory to my computer.

My IT guy moved Dropbox last night and now I have some files on the D Drive and Some on the C drive so I do not think they did it correctly?

So now I am stuck. Can I delete dropbox and then reload it on my D drive?  Can I even use an D drive for Dropbox?

Vicky
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello 🙂

You can follow these steps in order to move the Dropbox desktop application to a different location:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

Also, if you don't feel like moving the entire Dropbox, you can opt for Selective Sync:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Vincent2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, 

I'm trying to move my Dropbox folder from 1 drive (A:\) to another (D:\). I am following the instructions explained here: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder however I am stuck at the "Move..." step. In the "Browse For Folder" dialog window I cannot select "Computer" to go to my other drives. Here is a screenshot of the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s8oh0mkh7glw7x/BrowseForFolder.png?dl=0

Is there another way to move my dropbox folder to a new internal drive, or could anyone help me find my drives in the dialog?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Thanks for screen shot - thats helpful!

I'm on a Mac (using v 23.4.18) and when I've tested it here I can move it to another drive without issue.

Have you tried updating to a newer version and see if that helps? www.dropbox.com/downloading

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Vincent2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've updated to the latest version (v23.4.18) of dropbox but I am still unable to select other drives. I'm on Windows 7.

I tried it on a Windows 10 machine and I was able to select other drives. 

Is there anything else I can try? I have been able to move my dropbox to another drive in the past, on Windows 7. So I think something might have changed.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I was going to suggest posting on the 23.4.18 thread, but I cant find it.

I'd suggest logging a ticket as its possible its a bug:
https://www.dropbox.com/support to log
http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track

Replies will also take at least a few working days

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mangi k. New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Stefan M.1 New member | Level 1
    Neil T.2 New member | Level 1
    j w.13 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?