cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open excel document on Dropbox

Can't open excel document on Dropbox

youcankang
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I edited my excel documents on dropbox using excel for web. It works well. But all a sudden, after I close the document one day, I can never open it again. When I tried to open it using excel for web or google sheets, it always said "waiting for google" and then "the connection was reset". Even after I have downloaded the file, it said "because the file formt or file extension is not valid". The size of the file is only 200B. I have tried to recover from the version history, but all the older versions didn't work and all older versions were only 200B. 

9 Replies 9

Re: can't open excel document on dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @youcankang, I'd be happy to help out!

Can you let me know if there is any difference opening the file via the website with the following:

• Clear your browser cache and try again
  • Use an incognito/private browsing window
  • Use another web browser

Keep me posted with the results!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

youcankang
Explorer | Level 3

I have tried in different computers, different web browsers. But it didn't work. 

And I noticed that when using excel for the web to edit the sheet, if I click "undo" button, the dropbox will die and can't recover even I close and restart the dropbox . 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @youcankang.

Can you let me know what the file extension is for this file?

Also, please send me a screenshot of the error you're getting when trying to open the file locally, as the visual would be helpful. Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

youcankang
Explorer | Level 3

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Here are the screenshots. The file is .xlsx. It's still in my folder but the file is only 1k after download.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @youcankang, the size of the file looks to be too small to contain any data, if it is 200 bytes as you said. 

Could you clarify if you uploaded the Excel sheet to the shared folder, or if someone shared it with you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

youcankang
Explorer | Level 3

I created the file on Oct 27 and input the data. It worked normal until Oct 30. Before that, I can open, revise, save it. And all a sudden, everything was gone. And even the size of history version was only 200bytes. I don't know what happened to my file, where it was. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Were you editing the file only via the website? 

Do you remember getting any error messages while you were editing it? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

youcankang
Explorer | Level 3
I opened this file but was editing another one. And when I tried to undo my last step, dropbox was dead and no response. I have to close dropbox. My other file was ok except the last step but this file was gone. As I said before, when I clicked undid, dropbox is easy to die.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @youcankang, it seems that this is not a valid Excel file, 200 bytes would be enough for a shortcut to an Excel file, and nothing more than that. Please could you explain where you edited the file. Was it on the Dropbox site directly, or the Excel app on your computer?

If the site is showing the version history of 200 bytes for all versions, then the original file was never stored on Dropbox, and instead this shortcut file was synced there. Due to this, it isn't possible to recover the file via Dropbox.

You might have the original file elsewhere on your machine, so it could be possible to recover a backup of the file using the built-in Excel backup feature, if it was previously enabled.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    youcankang Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?