cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t open files in other programs?

Can’t open files in other programs?

carlodeluca
New member | Level 2

Am I doing something wrong?
On the iPhone I can’t open my ppt in keynote. Can’t open my pdf books in kindle. Can’t open my documents in Pdf Expert. Can’t open files in Numbers
I’m forced to use what Dropbox wants me to use?
Where is the “Open In” menu???
Is the Dropbox for iPhone just a “viewer” now?
9 Replies 9

Re: Can’t open files in other programs?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hey Carlo, the Dropbox mobile app is mainly for viewing your files within the app.

You can natively open certain files in the app to view them, however if you'd like to view files using different apps, you'll need to export them.

Here are the steps for iOS:

- Open the file you’d like to export in the Dropbox app
- Tap the ellipsis (..) on the top-right and select “Export”. You will now see two rows of apps.
- In the lower row, tap “Open In…” - this will show you a list of apps to export this file to. If you don’t see any apps indicated, you will need to download an app that supports this filetype.

Please note that exporting a file saves a copy of the file to another app. Exported files will not sync with your Dropbox account.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

carlodeluca
New member | Level 2
There are no buttons but Comment and Info. 😞

Jay
Dropboxer

Could you make sure you're viewing the files in the Files tab on the app? Also, could you tap the file itself to open it first?

You should then be able to view the 3 dots on the top right to export the file. Let me know if you see something else.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

carlodeluca
New member | Level 2
How can I send you some prints?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hey Carlo, most likely you're running the iOS 11 Beta if you can't see the 3 dots.

Could you write to us directly and also copy the thread URL in the ticket for us to look into:

https://bit.ly/cm-support

Thanks in advance!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jdstud
New member | Level 2

I use ios 11 beta and dont see any dots. How can i use another app to open pdf files?

Mark
Super User II
You are going to need to wait for an update from Dropbox to add this functionality back in, or, go back to iOS 10.

Note that Dropbox often do not update their apps / fix things until very close to the public release of the new OS's.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jdstud
New member | Level 2

Is there any desktop like sync for ipad? 

Mark
Super User II
No.

Not sure if it would work or not but have a look at the mobile version of Dropbox and see if you could use that in mean time.

www.dropbox.com/home

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Jdstud New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?