cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open or copy some 2007 Office files

jmbtexas4
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I've used the Dropbox desktop app for my job and have had no trouble opening files until today.  I've had an issue for a long time where 2007 Office program icons are not associated or visible next to the file until I actually open the file for the first time, and then, I can see the Word, Excel, etc. icon next to that file.

Now, I can only open files with the icon visible that I've already opened before.  If I try to open any Word or Excel file (Office 2007) where the program icon is not visible, I get a message related to the file format or file extension not being valid and may be corrupt.  I can't even copy the files with this problem either because I get a message that says "an unexpected error is keep you from copying the file."

However, I can download these problematic files from Dropbox.com and open them with no issues on my computer.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't open or copy some 2007 Office files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the aditional information @jmbtexas4 - most appreciated!

The issue you reported is something our dev team is currently aware of and investigating further. It appears to be related to an interaction between the Smart Sync feature and OS file explorer behavior as we attempt to sync previews of the files. 

We do not have a current timeline I can provide on improvements to this behavior, yet, I'd recommend ensuring that you are consistently updating to the latest Dropbox version available to take advantage of any performance improvements as they are made available. 

Since you're on Windows, restarting the computer will relaunch the Windows File Explorer and should resolve this but if the issue does persist, as a current workaround you could use the Smart Sync feature to make any needed folders "local" so they generate the preview icons as you noticed yourself too. Alternatively, you could also preview any of the files in these folders on our website at Dropbox.com. 

Thank you again for your report and please let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: I removed your personal information from your screenshot for security reasons.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @jmbtexas4 - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let me know if you notice this happen on our most recent build - currently 63.4.107

If so, could you provide some screenshots of the problem so I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand and send you the most appropriate next steps? 

Walter

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

jmbtexas4
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

That appears to have done the trick.  Is there a way to auto-update the Dropbox app in the future?

Also, do you know how I can get all my Office file icons to appear in Dropbox before I open the files?

Thanks!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear this helped @jmbtexas4 - thanks for your prompt reply too!

First off, note that we do regularly update active Dropbox accounts automatically to the latest version while should we find any issues updating your computer to the latest version the Dropbox application will let you know that your current version is old. You can read more about the updating process here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cant-establish-secure-connection

Now, as per the missing icons on your Office files, could you please send me a screenshot of the files you mentioned just to make sure we're on the same page?

I'd like you to ensure that our desktop app is running and stating "up to date" which in turn would mean that you're fully synced when you take that screenshot please.

Thanks!

Walter

jmbtexas4
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

First of all, Dropbox is "up to date" and synced.

Secondly, see the screen shot below.  Files that sync do not show the program icon until I actually open the file, and then, the icon appears (Excel icon in this case).

How do I get proper icons to appear (Excel, Word, PDF, etc.) when files are added and synced without me having to open the file to see the icons?

aaa.jpg

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the aditional information @jmbtexas4 - most appreciated!

The issue you reported is something our dev team is currently aware of and investigating further. It appears to be related to an interaction between the Smart Sync feature and OS file explorer behavior as we attempt to sync previews of the files. 

We do not have a current timeline I can provide on improvements to this behavior, yet, I'd recommend ensuring that you are consistently updating to the latest Dropbox version available to take advantage of any performance improvements as they are made available. 

Since you're on Windows, restarting the computer will relaunch the Windows File Explorer and should resolve this but if the issue does persist, as a current workaround you could use the Smart Sync feature to make any needed folders "local" so they generate the preview icons as you noticed yourself too. Alternatively, you could also preview any of the files in these folders on our website at Dropbox.com. 

Thank you again for your report and please let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: I removed your personal information from your screenshot for security reasons.

Walter

View solution in original post

jmbtexas4
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks!  I changed to "Local" Smary Sync, but the icons are stil not visible by default.  Please advise.

jmbtexas4
Explorer | Level 3

I changed to "Local" Smary Sync, but the icons are stil not visible by default.  Please advise.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @jmbtexas4 - I've reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile with some questions for you so we can work on this together.

Take a look at your inbox when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?