cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open preference on Dropbox windows app

Can't open preference on Dropbox windows app

meerkat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am not able to open the actual Dropbox app on my Windows 10 machine. As I gather, the only way to do it is by clicking on the system tray icon. The problem is that the system tray icon doesn't prompt with any menu of any sort on being clicked. It is so frustrating that such a critical functionality of the app is not working.

Double clicking on the system tray icon open the Dropbox folder in File Explorer.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@meerkat wrote:

The problem is that the system tray icon doesn't prompt with any menu of any sort on being clicked.

Try a CTRL-left click to open the legacy menu. If that works, you might consider exiting the app and restarting it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@meerkat wrote:

The problem is that the system tray icon doesn't prompt with any menu of any sort on being clicked.

Try a CTRL-left click to open the legacy menu. If that works, you might consider exiting the app and restarting it.

meerkat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you so much! It worked. I don't know why this isn't documented where it might be easily accessible.
The single click still doesn't work.

Henry85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I followed your direction and it did not work.  Up came File Explorer, not legacy menu, with the (expected) listing of only items that were sent to me.  I do not want to store any Computer files or backups in Dropbox. I want to use it only to send and receive files. In and out but my decision only to save long term. I do not need to save the contents of my external backup drive in Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Henry85 wrote:

I followed your direction and it did not work.  Up came File Explorer, not legacy menu ...

You're double clicking, which opens your Dropbox folder in Explorer. It's just a single click while holding CTRL to access the legacy menu.

Henry85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you for the advice but it did not work.
I uninstalled it and brought up a new installation from Google Chrome extensions and easy instructions. This gives total control and choices because it is a new install and up to date.

johnsunruh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using Windows 11, I modified the registry and then Dropbox opened normally from the tray icon.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I modified the data  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /systemstartup by removing /systemstartup, then rebooted. Dropbox worked normally after that.

Henry85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Interesting, and thank you.
I have not yet made the transition to Windows 11, and I’m holding off for a while.
Is there any reason why this might not work for Windows 10 if I can identify the same key?
Thx
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Henry85 Explorer | Level 4
    johnsunruh Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?