cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t open web archives via app and desktop

Can’t open web archives via app and desktop

Lboogs
Explorer | Level 4
Dropbox won’t let me open any of my web archives or zip files. Is there a glitch in the system today? It was working fine yesterday, but not today.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can’t open web archives via app and desktop

Mark
Super User II
When on the Mac and you click Open it is using software on the Mac to open it. Thats all, nothing special.

When you do the same on iOS it is looking for the software, cannot find it so fails.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Dropbox doesn't open files; it's just the transport medium. You need to use an appropriate app for the file type you wish to open.

Describe the exact process you're using (all steps, please), and we may be able to determine where the problem is.

Lboogs
Explorer | Level 4
I was doing some research yesterday on my MacBook laptop. I would send links that I wanted to reference again to a specified Dropbox folder. Yesterday I was able to go to my specified Dropbox folder and it would take me to the web links that I saved. Today I tried doing the same thing and I would get the message “Couldn’t Load File. There was an error Loading the file” via my iOS Dropbox app and I would get the msg “webarchive files can’t be previewed” on my desktop app on my laptop. I deleted my desktop app and then added it back and it worked like it did yesterday, but it still won’t work on my iOS device. Do I make any sense?

Lboogs
Explorer | Level 4
Anybody out there? Rich, you didn’t respond back after you told me to give a detailed explanation.

Mark
Super User II
It does make sense, but Rich's answer is still correct - Dropbox just transports the files (think like a USB pen would do). So, on your iOS device and Mac you do not have any programs capable of opening the files. You need to download a program which can do this for you.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lboogs
Explorer | Level 4
I am able to open the links via the desktop app though. When I am in a folder in Dropbox and I hit [•••] icon and hit “open” it takes me to the file in [mac’s FINDER], I double click and then it opens the link in a new tab. I just thought the app on my iOS device would do something similar. I guess not?

Mark
Super User II
When on the Mac and you click Open it is using software on the Mac to open it. Thats all, nothing special.

When you do the same on iOS it is looking for the software, cannot find it so fails.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Lboogs Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?