cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't put Dropbox back where it's been for years

Can't put Dropbox back where it's been for years

Doug R.9
Helpful | Level 5

I have been using Dropbox for some years, and have Dropbox Plus on my Win-10 64-bit PC. When I installed it I chose not to use the default location for the files, but put my Dropbox directory on my G-Drive, an internal drive.
About a week ago I started a new video project, and created a sub-directory for it in my Dropbox folder. Today I discovered it wasn't synching. After a LOT of searching, I realised that this was because there was a Dropbox directory in the default location (C:\Users etc). I never knowingly agreed to it being there!
So I tried to move it to my G-Drive using the Dropbox app, and came across a nice Catch-22. If I try to move it to G:, I can't because there is already a directory with that name. But I can't rename that directory; it's locked, probably by Dropbox! So for now I have added my new folder to the C-Drive Dropbox folder.

The only way I can move it to G: is to have it as a subfolder within another folder, which is silly!
But I want to get things back the way they were. which has worked well for years.
I guess I could uninstall Dropbox and start again - but I have a lot of very big video files stored there, so the synching would take several days.
How do I move my Dropbox directory to where it has been for years (and indeed still is)? Or how do I delete the G-Drive directory (having first copied the contents) so I can move the directory in the normal way?
All help appreciated and acknowledged.
Doug Revell

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't put Dropbox back where it's been for years

Doug R.9
Helpful | Level 5

Lusil

Thank you very much for a quick and clear reply. I would have responded sooner, except |I lost my internet connection for some hours this morning, as you do!

Once I got it back, I did as you suggested, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have been able to persuade it to reconnect to the right directory, and to remove the "wrong" one from my C-Drive. Currently Dropbox has just finished indexing, and gone back to uploading the big video files I want available on line.

So this is the solution, and you are a star!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Doug R.9

I'd be more than happy to help. 

As a first step, could you try unlinking your account from your desktop app and then re-linking? Please remember to select the location you want your Dropbox folder in during the initial sign in. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Doug R.9
Helpful | Level 5

Lusil

Thank you very much for a quick and clear reply. I would have responded sooner, except |I lost my internet connection for some hours this morning, as you do!

Once I got it back, I did as you suggested, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have been able to persuade it to reconnect to the right directory, and to remove the "wrong" one from my C-Drive. Currently Dropbox has just finished indexing, and gone back to uploading the big video files I want available on line.

So this is the solution, and you are a star!

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer

Happy to help, @Doug R.9:innocent: 

If you have any other questions, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?