cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read .txt file with HTML Viewer on New phone

Can't read .txt file with HTML Viewer on New phone

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since upgrading to my new phone, Moto G4 Plus running Android 6.0.1, I cannot open a .txt file from my Dropbox using the built in HTML Viewer.  My previous phone was running Lollipop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezap5v0cos0wau8/Screenshot_20170212-090528.png?dl=0

I can open them with other apps from Dropbox including the Dropbox Text Editor or the App Docs, but for my purposes, the HTML viewer is perfect for my what I need.  The Dropbox Text Editor double spaces everything and Docs converts it and then saves in Google Drive.  I guess I can look for another app, but I would prefer not too.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I found the solution.  BTW Motorolo support is a joke.

Go to Settings - Apps.  Click on the 3 vertical dots on the upper right  and select Show System

Scroll down to HTML Viewer, Click on Permissions, turn on permissions for Storage.

Thanks Rich for letting me know that it is a system app. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You'll need to contact support for the viewer app that you're using. Dropbox has no control over that, and just uses the viewers that are built-in to your phone. The fact that other applications can open the file shows that it's not a Dropbox issue.

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As far as I know the developer of the "HTML Viewer" IS Dropbox.  There response was to go here, to the forums.

This is the app I'm talking about:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/69dc601ysiwptcs/Screenshot_20170213-113123.png?dl=0

I have NO app on my phone that says HTML VIEWER.  I do have an app with that same icon and it is called "NativeDropBoxAgent".  It is the only app with that icon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mffa1cs9to1z29k/Screenshot_20170213-113257.png?dl=0

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Jfossy wrote:

As far as I know the developer of the "HTML Viewer" IS Dropbox.

Dropbox has no viewers. It uses the viewers that are built-in to your device's operating system.

This is the app I'm talking about:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/69dc601ysiwptcs/Screenshot_20170213-113123.png?dl=0

The icon shown is the standard Android icon. That indicates that it's the HTML viewer built-in to your device's operating system. It's nothing to do with Dropbox.

I have NO app on my phone that says HTML VIEWER.  I do have an app with that same icon and it is called "NativeDropBoxAgent".  It is the only app with that icon.

Again, that has the standard Android icon. It's a process built-in to Android, and not the actual Dropbox software. That's a process developed by the device manufacture to bring additional Dropbox support into the OS. It also has nothing to do with the actual Dropbox app.

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So what do you use to view .txt files?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The viewer that's built-in to my device's operating system.

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
And are yiu udkng tbe Marshmallow os on yiur phkne?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No. I use an iPhone.

Jfossy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
So how do I get in contact with another Marshmallow user?
I never had this problem until this version of the OS.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Try asking on an Android-specific support forum.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jfossy Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?