cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reinstall Dropbox because time settings are incorrect

Highlighted

Can't reinstall Dropbox because time settings are incorrect

Explorer | Level 4

One computer in our household stopped syncing a day or so ago.  I tried unhooking and rehooking it, with no success. I've now uninstalled it completely from that computer but can't reinstall because I get a "time settings are incorrect" message.  Time and date are set to update automatically, and I've tried disabling the default antivirus program (Windows Security), with no joy.  I don't want to leave AV off for too long and have given up for the moment.  Any guidance welcome please.  System is Win10.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't reinstall Dropbox because time settings are incorrect

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @translateltd54; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with re-installing the desktop app on your Windows machine. 

Quoting from the relevant Help Center article, note that your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of our SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it’s outside of Dropbox's SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection can’t be established.

To correct this, change your system time to the current date (either on your computer, your router, or both).

Note: System time is different than the date/time that appears in the system tray or menu bar of your computer. Check the macOS or Windows help centers for more info on this if needed.

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

PS - We are using only a tiny fraction of our DP allocation, and there is plenty of HD space available on this machine.  We appear to have a partial install, and from the tray icon I've adjusted the settings to "No Proxy" and restarted, still exactly the same error msg.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @translateltd54; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with re-installing the desktop app on your Windows machine. 

Quoting from the relevant Help Center article, note that your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of our SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it’s outside of Dropbox's SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection can’t be established.

To correct this, change your system time to the current date (either on your computer, your router, or both).

Note: System time is different than the date/time that appears in the system tray or menu bar of your computer. Check the macOS or Windows help centers for more info on this if needed.

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Walter - machine is syncing with time.windows.com, which I assume is the correct time server.  I've done a manual time sync to ensure it's up to date.
In the meantime I've managed to download a new installation and it the "syncing..." message appears by the icon in the tray.  I hope it actually progresses beyond that to showing how many files it still has to process at some point, as the previous installation was hung on "syncing" for more than 24 hours before I stopped and uninstalled it!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Update: the file countdown is in progress so it appears to have worked.  Thanks for the swift response and explanation.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @translateltd54; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now.

Should you ever bump into a hiccup like this or any other Dropbox question, please feel free to give us a nudge. We're always a post away 

Until then, take care! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

There's still something weird going on, however - the syncing process took a day (we're talking about 1m or so files, even using selective sync to limit the process to selected folders); then once the uploading and downloading process began, everything has slowed right down: the initial time estimate was 2 days, but after around 36 hours the total files waiting to be handled has decreased by less then 10%, with over 900,000 still to go.  The upload and download rate seems to read 0 bit/s whenever I look, even though I have unchecked the "limit speed" option under Preferences.  Task Manager shows Dropbox using quite a bit of memory at times - 1.3 GB a few minutes ago, though it's down to 200 MB at the moment.

I've also turned off the "sleep" option for the PC so it stays on permanently (so DB shouldn't stop running) - only the screen closes down.

Any ideas as to why we should be experiencing these glacial rates of file transfer and how to speed it up would be most welcome.  In the time it's taken to log in and type this, the number of files pending upload and download hasn't changed.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @translateltd54.

Can you send me a screenshot of the exact status of the desktop app as shown within your computer's system tray at the moment? 

If you'd like to speed the syncing process up a tad, you can change your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences

Please keep me posted! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, Thanks for your reply.  The relevant screenshots are attached.  We selected the no speed limit option originally but things were still glacial so have changed that back to limit the speed if necessary.  It seems to make no difference.

In between times - yesterday - I unhooked DB again, left the PC for a while and then rehooked it.  We have unchecked one system folder with over a million files, so that should no longer update, though as I understand it the system still has to process them all to disconnect that folder, hence the large number of files still to be processed (there should be "only" 100,000 files or so to process once that stage is complete.

The initial syncing process in each case has been relatively swift, but subsequent uploading and downloading slows to more-or-less a standstill.  The working files we actually want on the PC haven't been updated for five days now, although we can see them online and can access them from another linked PC quite happily.

As you'll see from the screenshots, nothing has been updated in the past five hours, even though the PC has been awake the whole time. 

The 0.0 KB/sec speed shown in the first screenshot is the same regardless of the speed setting we choose under Preferences.

rp_db0.jpgrp_db2.jpgrp_db3.jpgrp_db4.jpgrp_db5.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with all these additional details @translateltd54!

At this point, I'd like you to try some steps to see if they improve matters at all.

Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically in order, as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'Space' key

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account one

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. Operating system permissions can prevent files from being viewed or edited by unauthorized logins. Permissions can be set any number of ways and can be restored manually through a fairly simple process.

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if syncing becomes stuck again.

Let me know how you get on! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?