cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't relink to Dropbox location

Can't relink to Dropbox location

jgwalter
Helpful | Level 5

So, I tried the backup option, and it mostly failed because my Desktop and Documents are on iCloud.  However, it accepted my downloads folder, and proceeded to change the location of my entire dropbox folder from the external drive to my internal drive.

I don't want this, and now I can't seem to link it back.  The location it created is identical, but online only.  When I try to link to the original location, it fails, probably because it is seeing the same named folder already there.

I don't want to start over.  There is nearly 3tb of data.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't relink to Dropbox location

jgwalter
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the response.

Problem solved with a chat to customer support.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @jgwalter, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jgwalter
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the response.

You are correct, I enabled the auto backup, which appears to be a BIG mistake.

First, it would not back up two of the three options (Desktop and Documents) because they were in iCloud.  It did backup my Downloads folder but did not move it anywhere.

What it did do, was move my Dropbox folder (the link) from the external drive to my internal drive, creating a new set of the entire folder hierarchy.  It did make all the folders and files 'online only', maybe because they are far bigger than space on that drive allows.

My previous Dropbox location remains but is unlinked to Dropbox.  It contains nearly 3 TB of data.

I have since disabled the auto-backup feature, but it will not let me relink to the original external location, producing this error.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.01.24 AM.png

I'm not sure what to do next?  Changing any of the file locations will create havoc with my backup routines, not to mention programs that link.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Could you let me know exactly what location you're selecting for the folder location @jgwalter?

For example, if you have Dropbox on your external drive under D:\Folder\Dropbox, are you selecting D:\Folder or D:\Folder\Dropbox as the location?

You would need to select the parent folder of where you want the Dropbox folder to be located. In this case, you would select D:\Folder. 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jgwalter
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the response.

Problem solved with a chat to customer support.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?