cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Dropbox App

Highlighted

Re: Can we prevent the new desktop app from opening in the dock and just have the icon in the menu b

Explorer | Level 4

I get that Dropbox wants to make Dropbox more visible, strengthen the brand, etc. It's scary that other companies are trying to step into this space.

But allow users to opt out of the dual icon behavior. It's not fair to the end user to chew up both dock and menu bar space if the user doesn't see value in the macOS dock placement.

Between this and the price hike, it's starting to feel like Dropbox is getting less cautious about aligning the company's interests with the end users' interests.

Highlighted

Re: Can we prevent the new desktop app from opening in the dock and just have the icon in the menu b

Helpful | Level 5

I agree with everything said here. I am on the OneDrive pricing page now, something that would have been inconceivable just a year ago.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Pete G.3

If you want to stop the Dropbox desktop app from automatically starting upon booting your computer, you can do so by changing the desktop app’s preferences.

More specifically:
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock.
  2. Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar. 
  3. Select Preferences from the menu.
  4. Remove the tick that on the box next to the option Start Dropbox on system startup.
Please note though that when the desktop app isn’t running, your files are not syncing. So any changes you make to your Dropbox folder do not sync to your account and vice versa. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Can't remove Dropbox icon from Mac OS Dock

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I think this may have to do with the "Open folders in:" option in the Dropbox "General" preferences.

If I change it back to "Finder", the dropbox icon stops showing up in my dock.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 5.56.25 PM.png

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just adding a +1 to bring back old behavior and remove icon from dock + application switcher, and go back to only menu bar icon.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks for responding but that is not my question. I want to start Dropbox on Startup but I do not want to launch the new Dropbox app which appears in the dock. Unless your telling me that you get both or nothing.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Another +1

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @Pete G.3

Currently, there isn’t a way to disable it from the dock as this is part of the desktop app. 

However, I understand how important this is for you, and I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team. 

I’ve also moved you post here so as to keep track of relevant feedback. 

I understand that this isn’t the ideal reply you were looking for, but I do hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Can't remove Dropbox icon from Mac OS Dock

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

+1, imho, annoying & unnecessary change -- was fine in menubar, no need to be in Dock.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?