cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't remove dropbox folder icon from Win File Explorer

Can't remove dropbox folder icon from Win File Explorer

Isaksp00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Since Dropbox recently limited free accounts to three devices I had to delete it from my desktop PC and a laptop. The deletion from the laptop went OK. The deletion from the desktop (Windows 10) occurred, but left a sort of transparent document icon in File Explorer. See screen snap. I can't delete this, even after a reboot. If I right click on the icon there is no delete option, nor can I use the delete key if I click on it - nothing happens. Any ideas on how to force a deletion? It seems to be a shortcut type link that points to the now deleted dropbox folder on the C drive.

Thanks.

FileExplorer.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

isaksp02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I found a fix by using regedit to search the registry for the string "c:\users\peter\dropbox". If you use this, obviously the string would be the name that is in the Properties dialog box of your ghost system folder icon. It found one entry, "under" a clsid. See screen shot below. I searched for the string that is the clsid (the thing between curly braces), and found it in several places. One of them was here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} That contained these values:

Name        Type        Data

(Default)   REG_SZ  Dropbox

I figured from the other data similar to it in the registry that it is where file explorer finds the info it uses to display these icons over to the left. For example, the value right above that reg entry is similar and has "data" = "Onedrive", which is another icon in file explorer. I deleted the key and the ghost icon is gone. Now, since the clsid appears in other places in the registry I likely have some leftover, useless data, but I hope it is not harmful.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Isaksp00 - welcome to the Community and happy Monday!

I'm sorry for the late reply; are you still having issues with this? 

If you do, could you right click inside the window you're showing in your screenshot and force it to refresh? 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Isaksp00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, that "ghost" folder-like icon is still there. I don't see any refresh option in Windows Explorer when I right-click in any pane.

Isaksp00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I see how to get a refresh now, but it did not help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Isaksp00; I'm merely checking back with you on this. Have you been able to resolve your concern so far? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

isaksp02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, no I have not found a solution. I am pretty sure it is a registry issue, but I have no idea how to fix it. I suppose I could reset the Windows OS back to factory config and then let it update, but that is probably too much of a hassle when I can just leave this ghost icon there.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @isaksp02 (I guess you're the same person as @Isaksp00 - right?) 

May I have you follow some steps to see if they help with the matter at hand?

At this point, I'd like you to search for and delete the remaining Dropbox system folders (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of the following locations).

1. Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
  2. Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar and press enter.
  3. In the next window, delete the folder named Dropbox. A prompt to enter your computer administrator password (not your Dropbox password) may appear.
  4. Repeat these steps with the following folders. Deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.
    • %APPDATA%
    • %PROGRAMFILES%
    • %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

Make sure to reboot your computer once you're finished please.

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

isaksp02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, those are both my ID's - for some reason, to log in to the forum on one device, I had to create a new ID.

I tried the steps you cited. 2 of the directories did have the leftover dropbox subdir, and I deleted these and rebooted. The ghost folder is still there.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up on this @isaksp02 .

If you can confirm you've already uninstalled the app and there's no trace of it on your computer (I'd also check the processes that are running as there might be some associated with Dropbox that could be interfering somehow), at this point, I'd suggest that you logged a ticket with the team so we can drill into account and device specific info so we can assist further. 

If you let me know the ticket's ID here, I'll gladly locate it on our system and get on it ASAP.   

Walter
dropbox.com/support

isaksp02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I do not see any Dropbox process in Task Maager.

If I can figure outhow, I will post a ticket.

Need more support?