cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

KnightRyder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Trying to set up a new Windows 10 laptop which had Dropbox already installed, in S mode. Signed in to Dropbox (used on previous machine) OK but Dropbox not appearing in File Explorer. I can open an existing Dropbox file in Excel using 'Open with'  - and can save it - but cannot create a new file in Excel and save it to dropbox because cannot add Dropbox as a location. Don't want to exit S mode; anyway the Microsoft page on S mode says you can 'save your files to ... Dropbox', so it's not S mode blocking it. But, while WIndows 10 recognises the Dropbox App, it does not recognise dropbox as a location. And yes, I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, system restart but still unable to save new files. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KnightRyder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Microsoft support couldn't fix it either. I had to exit S-mode and download the full Dropbox. It seems the microsoft website is not quite telling the truth. Thanks for your input, Mark

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its because you are using the Dropbox App - that is a read only app.

You need to download and install the full client from www.dropbox.com/downloading. This will create your Dropbox folders etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KnightRyder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

But S mode will only allow apps from the microsoft store to be installed, so to get the full download, I would need to exit S mode (I really don't want to do this because my business partner, whose laptop it is, is not very internet-savvy).

Micosoft explicitly says that in S mode you can 'save files to Dropbox'. Anyway the app is not read-only because I can modify a file, I just can't create a new one, becuase windows does not list Dropbox as a location.

How does Dropbox tell windows that it's there?

KnightRyder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Microsoft support couldn't fix it either. I had to exit S-mode and download the full Dropbox. It seems the microsoft website is not quite telling the truth. Thanks for your input, Mark

mcmediate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you.  I thought it was just me - apparently Microsoft's way to force you to use their cloud, Onedrive.

chrisrab
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exactly.  The only option in the Microsoft Store is for the "lite" version called "Dropbox for S mode" and it doesn't allow you to directly download your own files - which makes it a complete waste of an app.  I had to find the full Dropbox download from the Dropbox website to get the actual, complete program.  Quite, quite ridiculous.

doddy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have not used dropx box Smode but now files are not being updated in my normal Dropbox and I have found the updated files in S mode. What to do?

Wisterian
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for this. I tried it but even when I go to the link, I can only download the app which is S mode. I can't get regular dropbox to load. S is very inadequate and changing to online word / google creates formatting problems.

Wisterian
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Replying to myself, downloading regular dropbox finally worked. I am not sure how what I did was different from the previous attempts.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What happens when you click this link @Wisterianwww.dropbox.com/downloading

Have you uninstalled the S mode successfully? 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    jk619 New member | Level 2
    Wisterian Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    HSG-DH New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?