cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

KnightRyder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Trying to set up a new Windows 10 laptop which had Dropbox already installed, in S mode. Signed in to Dropbox (used on previous machine) OK but Dropbox not appearing in File Explorer. I can open an existing Dropbox file in Excel using 'Open with'  - and can save it - but cannot create a new file in Excel and save it to dropbox because cannot add Dropbox as a location. Don't want to exit S mode; anyway the Microsoft page on S mode says you can 'save your files to ... Dropbox', so it's not S mode blocking it. But, while WIndows 10 recognises the Dropbox App, it does not recognise dropbox as a location. And yes, I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, system restart but still unable to save new files. Any ideas?

16 Replies 16

Grant6
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thought I'd add a bit more info for people coming upon this like I did and not wanting to exit S mode.

Using the Dropbox for S Mode app from the Microsoft Store, you can, in some applications, open from and save to Dropbox from within the application. If you open or save from within an app (e.g. File > Open or File > Save As..., etc), the File Explorer dialog that opens will, in some applcations, have Dropbox listed in the left sidebar, at the bottom.

You can also open files directly from within the Dropbox for S Mode app.

I use the Dropbox for S Mode app on my Surface Go - it's usable, albeit not the same as the desktop experience.

prof2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Seems as if MS have bogged the system.  Can't load Dropbox from anywhere else than MS store and it only offers the S mode.  S mode is useless in Win 10.  Back to Win 7 !!

HSG-DH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have 10 Pro and Dropbox thinks I have 10 S and have confirmed that I dont have S mode!!!! What next?

It will not let me load dropbox!!!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @HSG-DH, thanks for joining the topic!

If your device isn't running S mode, can you confirm for me if you downloaded the Dropbox app from our website here?

Otherwise, can you let me know if you're getting any specific errors when trying to open the app?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Wisterian
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply but yes, it's OK now.

I can't remember what I did clearly but it's OK.

With thanks,

jk619
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot find the preferences tab in Dropbox S to be able to add Dropbox to finder. I am unable to save documents to the Dropbox app from emails.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jk619, and welcome to our Community! 

I've merged your question under this thread, since it echoes the rest of the users. 

Essentially Dropbox for S Mode won't give you the ability to sync your content locally. You'd need to first exit the S mode using the steps Microsoft provides on their end, then install the stable Dropbox version from here

Let me know if you have any issues along the way!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    jk619 New member | Level 2
    Wisterian Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    HSG-DH New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?