cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start the desktop app due to a permissions error after updating my Mac's OS. Any ideas?

Can't start the desktop app due to a permissions error after updating my Mac's OS. Any ideas?

royboy
Helpful | Level 5

this after migrating my computer from iMac running OS X 11.6 to iMac running OS X 13.4. the text from info window:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 95.4.441
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 37
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: c34bdc9c-973b-5c67-b3ce-92b2c19b410d
pid: 2353
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='roysettgas', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Roy Settgas', pw_dir='/Users/roysettgas', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='roysettgas', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Roy Settgas', pw_dir='/Users/roysettgas', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/roysettgas'
appdata: '/Users/roysettgas/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/roysettgas/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/roysettgas/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/roysettgas/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/n1/fvrr0b7d1kz1kmzvmypcbtsm0000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/n1/fvrr0b7d1kz1kmzvmypcbtsm0000gp/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 831, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7009, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6446, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6397, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 348, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 379, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 251, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 601, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 144, in __init__
File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 84, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Opening dst |>> open syscall |>> Permission denied

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: couldn't start dropbox. "usually because of a permissions error"

royboy
Helpful | Level 5

never did resolve this glitch - there were a couple other problems with the migration, so I went back to old computer, updated some files that had changed and redid the migration by copying to a clone and then to new iMac. then updated OS X on new computer to Mojave (not ready for Catlina yet). this migration worked fine and Dropbox is now functional again (and other glitches, including the broken aliases, also gone).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @royboy; welcome to our Community!

With the macOS Catalina update, some stricter permissions have been enforced which have probably lead to the issue you are experiencing so to resolve the issue I'd start with the the following:

1. Click on the apple icon in the top left hand corner of your screen
  2. Select "System Preferences..."
  3. Then "Security & Privacy"
  4. Select the Privacy tab
  5. Select "Files and Folders"
  6. Under Dropbox ensure all folders are checked

To make changes you will need to click on the lock icon and enter your macOS password. Now attempt to restart the Dropbox desktop app. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

royboy
Helpful | Level 5

thanks Walter. I'm not yet to Catalina - still on High Sierra at moment with the intent to make my way to Catalina once I sort the 32/64 bit app situation. so I'm not seeing any "Files and Folders" option under High Sierra's Privacy. I did find Dropbox listed as an unchecked "allow to control your computer" option under Privacy/Accessibility. checking that doesn't seem to change the "couldn't start Dropbox" situation. 

royboy
Helpful | Level 5

one other glitch that I just thought of that could be related - for some reason, the migration over from my old iMac running El Capitan to this one running High Sierra seems to have broken all my aliases. I've been re-establishing alias connections in my personal data (which is a pain), but I see under Dropbox/Pkg Contents that there are a few aliases scattered amongst that Dropbox's contents. perhaps I'll go after that issue ... and if anyone has an idea of a good forum site to inquire about all alias links being broken, I'd be happy to take suggestions. 😉

royboy
Helpful | Level 5

never did resolve this glitch - there were a couple other problems with the migration, so I went back to old computer, updated some files that had changed and redid the migration by copying to a clone and then to new iMac. then updated OS X on new computer to Mojave (not ready for Catlina yet). this migration worked fine and Dropbox is now functional again (and other glitches, including the broken aliases, also gone).

View solution in original post

robmaci
New member | Level 2

Help!  I have the same problem!  But this thread says that after three week, he still can't find a solution??? Where is Dropbox support???

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @robmaci; thanks for joining the Community!

I'll be happy to look into this for you; could you send me the whole error log so I can take a look?

You can obtain it by clicking on the blue hypertext that's included in the permissions error message you get.

If it's an error relating to your computer's user profile, you might need to perform an advanced re-install to tackle this. 

In any case, please keep me posted Rob! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    robmaci New member | Level 2
    royboy Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?